Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another prime example of not having enough

1. Mar 12, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Everytime i get a new desk, it's because my old one didn't have enough space. After a while, the new desk ends up not having enough spaces and i go even bigger. Soon i'll have a desk 30 feet long and will still find a way to use up all that space. Sheesh!

Oh and even though it deserves its own thread just like this topic, doesn't anyone find it funny that computers are shown so inaccurately in movies. I'm sick of watching someone in a movie stop a generator by running up to a computer and typing in "Stop generator 3" into some already-up command prompt type of thing or typing in "Set clock to go off in 30 seconds" and hitting enter. Sheesh.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2006 #2
    I remember a great line from Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

Two terrorrists were at a computer in the genetics facility:

Terrorist 1: have you found the files yet?
    Terrorist 2: I can't even fin a single directory, they have their entire system on a command line OS!

UNIX, stopping terrorism one computer-illiterate person at a time.

Well, I thought it was hilarious.

4. Mar 12, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well there is a thing called a floor. They are very useful. :rofl:

Or try bookshelves. :biggrin:

5. Mar 12, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

My floor has enough crap on it as well.

I think i need to get like a storage area with like, 20 little boxes taht i can put in this area in this room. The area is like 3x5x2. If my grandfather was still capable of handling a shop, he'd probably build something overnight just for this purpose. Maybe i should build one! Real wood, none of this damn laminated sheet backings and particle board structure crap.

6. Mar 12, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

And you only starting college! Just wait.

Down the road, you will need to invest in a garage - two car at least. Then you'll need a place for the car as well. :rofl:

7. Mar 12, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If i get a good job, more like 5. 2 for physics related things, 1 for chemistry related crap, 1 for r/c airplanes, 1 for just crap laying around my house. I dabble into too many things. One day ill end up mixing everything up and I'll end up making an airplane with laser guided bombs.

8. Mar 12, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My current desk at home is my old kitchen table...it's finally big enough for me. I pulled off some trim on one side, and attached a sliding shelf underneath it as a keyboard tray, and just love it!

9. Mar 12, 2006 #8
    At least I'm not the only one who knows the greatness that is Splinter Cell. It was a good line, in my opinion.

10. Mar 13, 2006 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Have you ever listened to George Carlin's stand up when he's talking about a place to store all of "your stuff"? Very appropro.

Yes. I love shows like CSI that have these magic databases that can pull up information on anything. Let's find every house within a 500 mile radius that has more than one toaster...Oh yeah, the database would also immediately bring up where they were bought and who paid for them. All in one easy step.

11. Mar 13, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yah what next? "c:\request search warrant for jessica smith"

12. Mar 13, 2006 #11

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

What the heck do you need a desk for? I do my work on the couch or bed. Generally, I don't write, but if I require a hard surface, that's what a clipboard is for.

13. Mar 13, 2006 #12
    :rofl: yep.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?