Another prime example of not having enough

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
Pengwuino
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Everytime i get a new desk, it's because my old one didn't have enough space. After a while, the new desk ends up not having enough spaces and i go even bigger. Soon i'll have a desk 30 feet long and will still find a way to use up all that space. Sheesh!

Oh and even though it deserves its own thread just like this topic, doesn't anyone find it funny that computers are shown so inaccurately in movies. I'm sick of watching someone in a movie stop a generator by running up to a computer and typing in "Stop generator 3" into some already-up command prompt type of thing or typing in "Set clock to go off in 30 seconds" and hitting enter. Sheesh.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

I remember a great line from Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

Two terrorrists were at a computer in the genetics facility:

Terrorist 1: have you found the files yet?
Terrorist 2: I can't even fin a single directory, they have their entire system on a command line OS!

UNIX, stopping terrorism one computer-illiterate person at a time.

Well, I thought it was hilarious.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Pengwuino said:
Everytime i get a new desk, it's because my old one didn't have enough space. After a while, the new desk ends up not having enough spaces and i go even bigger. Soon i'll have a desk 30 feet long and will still find a way to use up all that space. Sheesh!
Well there is a thing called a floor. They are very useful. :rofl:

Or try bookshelves. :biggrin:

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Astronuc said:
Well there is a thing called a floor. They are very useful. :rofl:

Or try bookshelves. :biggrin:
My floor has enough crap on it as well.

I think i need to get like a storage area with like, 20 little boxes taht i can put in this area in this room. The area is like 3x5x2. If my grandfather was still capable of handling a shop, he'd probably build something overnight just for this purpose. Maybe i should build one! Real wood, none of this damn laminated sheet backings and particle board structure crap.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Pengwuino said:
My floor has enough crap on it as well.

I think i need to get like a storage area with like, 20 little boxes taht i can put in this area in this room. The area is like 3x5x2. If my grandfather was still capable of handling a shop, he'd probably build something overnight just for this purpose. Maybe i should build one! Real wood, none of this damn laminated sheet backings and particle board structure crap.
And you only starting college! Just wait.

Down the road, you will need to invest in a garage - two car at least. Then you'll need a place for the car as well. :rofl:

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Astronuc said:
And you only starting college! Just wait.

Down the road, you will need to invest in a garage - two car at least. Then you'll need a place for the car as well. :rofl:
If i get a good job, more like 5. 2 for physics related things, 1 for chemistry related crap, 1 for r/c airplanes, 1 for just crap laying around my house. I dabble into too many things. One day ill end up mixing everything up and I'll end up making an airplane with laser guided bombs.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My current desk at home is my old kitchen table...it's finally big enough for me. I pulled off some trim on one side, and attached a sliding shelf underneath it as a keyboard tray, and just love it!

franzbear!
franznietzsche said:
I remember a great line from Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

Two terrorrists were at a computer in the genetics facility:

Terrorist 1: have you found the files yet?
Terrorist 2: I can't even fin a single directory, they have their entire system on a command line OS!

UNIX, stopping terrorism one computer-illiterate person at a time.

Well, I thought it was hilarious.
At least I'm not the only one who knows the greatness that is Splinter Cell. It was a good line, in my opinion.

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Pengwuino said:
Everytime i get a new desk, it's because my old one didn't have enough space. After a while, the new desk ends up not having enough spaces and i go even bigger. Soon i'll have a desk 30 feet long and will still find a way to use up all that space.
Have you ever listened to George Carlin's stand up when he's talking about a place to store all of "your stuff"? Very appropro.

Pengwuino said:
Oh and even though it deserves its own thread just like this topic, doesn't anyone find it funny that computers are shown so inaccurately in movies. I'm sick of watching someone in a movie stop a generator by running up to a computer and typing in "Stop generator 3" into some already-up command prompt type of thing or typing in "Set clock to go off in 30 seconds" and hitting enter. Sheesh.
Yes. I love shows like CSI that have these magic databases that can pull up information on anything. Let's find every house within a 500 mile radius that has more than one toaster...Oh yeah, the database would also immediately bring up where they were bought and who paid for them. All in one easy step.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
FredGarvin said:
Yes. I love shows like CSI that have these magic databases that can pull up information on anything. Let's find every house within a 500 mile radius that has more than one toaster...Oh yeah, the database would also immediately bring up where they were bought and who paid for them. All in one easy step.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yah what next? "c:\request search warrant for jessica smith"

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
What the heck do you need a desk for? I do my work on the couch or bed. Generally, I don't write, but if I require a hard surface, that's what a clipboard is for.

Have you ever listened to George Carlin's stand up when he's talking about a place to store all of "your stuff"? Very appropro.
:rofl: yep.