Does Every Integer Greater Than 1 Have a Prime Divisor? A Proof by Contradiction

In summary, a proof by contradiction was used to show that if a is the smallest integer greater than 1 that is not divisible by a prime, then there must exist a prime that divides a. This is because if a is composite, then it can be written as the product of two integers b and c, both of which are greater than 1 and not in the set S, meaning they must be divisible by a prime. Therefore, a prime must divide a, leading to a contradiction and proving the statement.
scottstapp

Homework Statement

Let a be an integer greater than 1. Then there exists a prime that divides a.

Homework Equations

A prime is an integer that is greater than 1 but not composite

The Attempt at a Solution

Via Contradiction
S={x:x is an integer, x>1, x is not divisible by any prime }, assume S is nonempty.

I believe this is the set I must use, but I am not sure how to start this proof.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Let a be the smallest integer greater than 1 that is not divisible by a prime. I.e. the smallest element of your set S. Since a isn't prime, a=b*c where b>1 and c>1. Now what? How do b and c compare with a in size?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I am understanding what you are getting at but this is what I am thinking:

Because a=b*c, b=a/c, c=a/b, so a=a2/cb, so cba=a2 but this is obvious. I think I am misinterpreting what you are getting at.

I'm trying to get you to tell me that b and c are smaller than a. Therefore they AREN'T in your set S. What does that mean about b and c?

Doesn't this mean that one of them must be 1? And therefore the other is a prime because it is only written as 1*c (or 1*b).

scottstapp said:
Doesn't this mean that one of them must be 1?

No. a isn't prime. So it's composite. So a=b*c where b and c are greater than 1. If they are not 1 and they are not in S, then what does the definition of S say about them?

Dick said:
No. a isn't prime. So it's composite. So a=b*c where b and c are greater than 1. If they are not 1 and they are not in S, then what does the definition of S say about them?

By being integers greater than 1 and not in S, this says that a and b are integers that are divisible by a prime.

Yes. Ok, so if b and c are divisible by primes what about a?

Dick said:
Yes. Ok, so if b and c are divisible by primes what about a?

Because bc divides a and a prime divides bc, then a prime divides a. Therefore a contradiction is reached.

scottstapp said:
Because bc divides a and a prime divides bc, then a prime divides a. Therefore a contradiction is reached.

Exactly. So S must be empty.

Thanks so much Dick. I figured I would attach my formal proof just in case of any errors.

Proof by Contradiction:
1. Let S={x:x is an integer, x>1, x is not divisible by any prime}, assume S is nonempty.
2. Let a be the smallest integer greater than 1 that is not divisible by a prime, therefore it is the smallest integer in S.
3. a is composite so there exist integers b and c such that a=bc where b>1 and c>1
4. From (2) we know that a is the smallest integer in S therefore b and c are not in set S.
5. From (3), because b and c are greater than 1 and not in S, they must be divisible by a prime.
6. Therefore, bc|a, prime|bc, so prime|a and a contradiction is reached because S is empty.

You forgot to say that because a=b*c and b>1, and c>1 then b<a and c<a to justify your step 4. But other than that, it looks fine.

1. How do you prove that a number is prime?

In order to prove that a number is prime, you must show that it is only divisible by 1 and itself. This can be done through various methods such as trial division, sieving, and primality testing algorithms.

2. What is the most efficient way to find prime numbers?

The most efficient way to find prime numbers is through the use of primality testing algorithms, which can quickly determine whether a number is prime or not without having to divide it by every smaller number.

3. Can you give an example of a prime number proof?

One example of a prime number proof is Euclid's proof, which states that for any given integer n, there exists a prime number larger than n. This proof uses the fundamental theorem of arithmetic and the concept of prime factorization.

4. Are there any patterns or rules for prime numbers?

While there are patterns and rules that can help identify potential prime numbers, there is no definitive method for finding all prime numbers. Prime numbers are considered to be random and unpredictable, making them a subject of ongoing research in mathematics.

5. Can prime numbers be used in real-world applications?

Yes, prime numbers have many practical applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and number theory. They are also used in algorithms for tasks such as data compression, error-correction, and random number generation.