Calculating Tension in a Rotating Hoop

• Thread starter oahsen
  • Start date
In summary, we discussed a problem involving a thin circular hoop rotating about a vertical axis and the determination of the tension within the hoop. A hint was given to consider a tiny section of the hoop and the total force acting on half of the hoop. By breaking the forces into components and using symmetry, the tension can be calculated using an integral. The answer is 2*pi*m*R*f*f, which can be obtained by setting the force on each little piece equal to d(m)v^2/r and considering the force acting on each half of the hoop. Additional clarification was given, resulting in a better understanding of the problem.
oahsen
there is another problem that i couldn't solve. it is about circular motion ;

a thin circular horizontal hoop of mass m and radius R rotates at frequency f about a vertical axis through its center. determine the tension within the hoop. (there is a hint : consider a tiny section of the hoop)
and the answer is 2*pi*m*R*f*f but how??

Physics news on Phys.org
oahsen said:
there is another problem that i couldn't solve. it is about circular motion ;

a thin circular horizontal hoop of mass m and radius R rotates at frequency f about a vertical axis through its center. determine the tension within the hoop. (there is a hint : consider a tiny section of the hoop)
and the answer is 2*pi*m*R*f*f but how??
Hint: Find the total force acting on half the hoop. Where does that force come from?

please give a bit more information

thanks for hint but i didnt understand again. could you give a bit more explanation. i have midterm on friday and still i couldn't solve some problems and that makes me very sadddd

Can you draw a free body diagram?

yes i can draw but there is only m*v*v/r in the diagram. maybe there can a tension but if so they will be perpendicular and how can i write a relationship between them?

oahsen said:
thanks for hint but i didnt understand again. could you give a bit more explanation. i have midterm on friday and still i couldn't solve some problems and that makes me very sadddd
You know the force on each little piece of the loop having mass dm = (m/2πr)dl = (m/2πr)(rdθ) is centripetal (dl is a tiny length of the arc of the hoop, and π is pi in a not very good font), so it can be set equal to d(m)v^2/r = (dm)rω^2. If you look at half the hoop, the force is in a different direction for each little piece, but by symmetry the total force is directed parallel to the axis of symmetry of the semicircle, i.e., in the direction of the force acting on the midpoint of the semicircle. If you break all the forces into components parallel and perpendicular to this direction, the sum of the perpendicular components is zero (by symmetry or by direct integration). The sum of the components parallel to this direction is the total force acting on that half of the hoop. The integral to find this sum is fairly easy. This force is provided by the other half of the hoop at the two points of contact where the halves are connected. At each contact point, the force is the tension in the hoop.

ok i understood. 2*pi*f*f*r= (dm/dtheta)*(v^2)/r
=m * a ( for a piece an it is equal
to the tension )
thanks a lot

What is the problem from Giancoli?

The problem from Giancoli is a physics problem from the textbook "Physics: Principles with Applications" written by Douglas C. Giancoli. It covers various topics in physics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity.

Why is it called "Another problem from Giancoli"?

The title "Another problem from Giancoli" is used to distinguish this specific problem from other problems in the textbook. It is likely that there are multiple problems from Giancoli in the textbook, and this one is just one of them.

What is the purpose of solving problems from Giancoli?

The purpose of solving problems from Giancoli is to help students understand and apply the principles and concepts taught in the textbook. These problems serve as a way to practice and reinforce the knowledge gained from reading the textbook.

Can you provide an example of a problem from Giancoli?

Yes, an example of a problem from Giancoli is a projectile motion problem where an object is launched at an angle and its maximum height and range are calculated using the equations of motion.

How can I solve a problem from Giancoli?

To solve a problem from Giancoli, you can follow the steps outlined in the textbook. These may include identifying the given information, choosing the appropriate equations, and solving for the unknown variable. It is also helpful to understand the concepts and principles behind the problem in order to solve it correctly.