1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another problem from Kline

1. Feb 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A body has acquired a downward velocity [itex] v_0 [/itex] and thereafter the acceleration is proportional to the distance traveled. Measure time and distance from the instant and place where the object has acquired the velocity [itex] v_0 [/itex] and find the formula or the distance traveled as a function of time.

2. Relevant equations
    Suggestion in text to use

[tex] \frac{dv}{dt} = v\, \frac{dv}{dy} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found this problem very challenging. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I know it's long and complicated, and I am asking a lot, but if any of you have time, it really would be appreciated.

Using the suggestion in the text, I started with [itex] a = ky [/itex] which means [itex] \frac{dv}{dt} = ky [/itex] or

[tex] v\frac{dv}{dy} = ky [/tex]

My idea here was to get an expression for v, and then integrate that (as dy/dt) to get y in terms of t. But I have never really seen something like this before in the text. So perhaps I took a wrong turn here. What I tried to do was this: [tex] v\, dv = ky\, dy [/tex] and integrate this to get [tex] v^2/2 = ky^2/2 + C [/tex].

I know the book says you aren't supposed to view dv/dy (or any derivative) as a fraction, but I couldn't think of anything else to do.

On the off chance this was ok. I found [itex] C = v_0^2/2 [/itex] and so end up with [itex] v^2 = ky^2 + v_0^2 [/itex].

So (assuming this is right), I have [tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = \sqrt{ky^2 + v_0^2} [/tex] I use the theorem on reciprocals to write it as [tex] \frac{dt}{dy} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{ky^2 + v_0^2}} [/tex]

To integrate this, I set [itex] y = v_0\tan\theta/\sqrt{k} [/itex] and so [itex] dy/d\theta = v_o\sec^2\theta/\sqrt{k} [/itex] and I end up with the integral

[tex] t = \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}\int \frac{1}{\cos\theta}\, d\theta = \frac{\log(\cos\theta)}{\sqrt{k}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}\log\left(\frac{v_0}{\sqrt{v_0^2 + y^2k}}\right) + C [/tex]

[tex] De^{\sqrt{k}t} = \frac{v_0}{\sqrt{v_0^2+y^2k}} [/tex]

[itex] D = 1/v_0 [/itex].

Here is where I stopped, since it is obvious that this is not going to lead to the correct answer as given in the book, which is

[tex] y = \frac{v_0}{2\sqrt{k}}(e^{\sqrt{k}t} - e^{-\sqrt{k}t}) [/tex]

Thanks again, if anyone has the fortitude to slog through all this.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2007 #2
    Now I see a mistake in my integration of 1/cos. Let me think on this some more, and I will post again. Sorry to bother everyone.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  4. Feb 19, 2007 #3
    Yes, that was the problem. Well, I managed on my own for once. Sorry to bother anyone who read this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?