Another problem from magnetism

• Thread starter Kolahal Bhattacharya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field when an alternating current flows through a long wire and returns through a coaxial conducting tube. The problem was solved using the equation ∫E∙dl = (-dΦ/dt) and assuming B=μn I cos wt. There is a discussion about neglecting the current returning through the conducting tube and justifying the use of Ampere's law. It is mentioned that the B field must be 0 outside the tube and that Ampere's loop is a circle within the tube.
Kolahal Bhattacharya

Homework Statement

An alternating current I cos wt flows down a long wire and returns along a coaxial conducting tube of radius a. Find E assuming E→0 at ∞.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the problem from Griffiths but have some problem to understand the physical situation. I did using ∫E∙dl = (-dΦ/dt) and proceeded straight away as B=μn I cos wt.
How much it is justified as I am simply neglecting the current returning through the conducting tube?

Physics news on Phys.org
B comes from Ampere's law, which includes only the current within the loop.
The current in the outer tube is outside the loop.

How do you know where to construct Ampere's loop?At first you are to justify that the B field must be 0 outside the tube.

Ampere's loop is a circle within the tube, where you need to know B.
The field outside the tube ils irrelevant.

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon that is caused by the presence of magnetic fields. These fields are produced by moving electric charges and can attract or repel other magnetic materials.

2. How is magnetism related to electricity?

Magnetism and electricity are closely related as they both involve the movement of charged particles. Electric currents can produce magnetic fields, and moving magnets can induce electrical currents.

3. What are the main types of magnets?

The main types of magnets are permanent magnets, which retain their magnetism over time, and electromagnets, which are created by passing an electric current through a wire wrapped around a magnetic core.

4. How can magnetism be used in everyday life?

Magnetism has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in motors and generators, credit and debit cards, speakers and headphones, and MRI machines for medical imaging.

5. Can magnetism affect human health?

There is no evidence that the magnetic fields produced by everyday objects, such as fridge magnets or electronic devices, have any adverse effects on human health. However, extremely strong magnetic fields, such as those used in MRI machines, can have potential health risks and must be carefully controlled and monitored.