Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Proof by Induction

1. Sep 19, 2004 #1
    Show that the sum of the series from j = 1 up to 2m of (-1)^(j+1)*(1/j) is equal to the sum of the series from j=1 up to m of (1/(m+j)).

it works for m = 1.
    After assuming m = k is true, and plugging in m = k+1 i got

sum of the series from j = 1 up to 2(k+1) of (-1)^(j+1)*(1/j) is equal to the sum of the series from j=1 up to k+1 of (1/(k+j+1)).

Now the big problem im having is with the right side. The left side is ok, i realize that it can be written as the left side of the induction hypothesis plus the next two terms. Whats really bugging me tho is the right side. I cant see any way to form the induction hypothesis out of it. This is really because of the m+j in the series.

Because if i want to write the sum of the series from j=1 up to k+1 of (1/(k+j+1)), but with the upper limit as k, i would write it as:

the sum of the series from j=1 up to k of (1/(k+j+1)) + 1/2(k+1) (since j = k+1)

is that correct? And if it is i cant generate the induction left hand side. Meaning i cant get rid of the summation. Am i on the right track? where did i make a mistake? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2004 #2
    I think I managed to do it. I assume what you're trying to prove is the following:
    [tex]\sum_{j=1}^{2m} \frac{(-1)^{j+1}}{j} = \sum_{j=1}^m \frac{1}{j+m}[/tex]

When you substitute m=k+1, sooner or later you would get [tex]\sum_{j=1}^k \frac{1}{k+j}[/tex]on the LHS.

Here's a hint: [tex]\sum_{j=1}^k \frac{1}{k+j} = (\sum_{j=1}^k \frac{1}{k+1+j})\ - \ \frac{1}{k+1} \ + \ \frac{1}{(k+1)+k}[/tex]

LaTex sure took a long time to create.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?