Solving for Prove That x^4+x^3y+x^2y^2+xy^3+y^4>0

• Thread starter nietzsche
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about proving that an equation is greater than 0 when x and y are not both 0. The attempt at a solution involves grouping positive terms and multiplying by (x-y), but there is still uncertainty due to the presence of an xy term. Suggestions are given to consider cases where x > y and x < y.
nietzsche
Hi everyone. I know i keep posting all these questions, but each question in my textbook just keeps on bringing on new challenges. Is there a rule against posting to many questions?

Homework Statement

[tex]
\text{Prove that if}
\begin{math}
x
\end{math}
\text{and}
\begin{math}
y
\end{math}
\text{are not both 0, then}
\begin{equation*}
x^4+x^3y+x^2y^2+xy^3+y^4>0
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the second part of a question I posted earlier (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338240). I'm guessing the questions are related somehow, but all the methods used on the earlier question don't seem to work on this question.

I tried grouping all the positive terms ([tex]x^4, y^4, x^2y^2[/tex]) and separating the equation based on those, and it works for the cases where x and y are both positive or both negative, but when they have opposite signs, it's impossible to figure out.

Any hints? I know that multiplying by (x-y) gives [tex]x^5-y^5[/tex], but I don't know how much that helps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Iis the last term in the inequality supposed to be y2 or y4?

--Elucidus

Elucidus said:
Iis the last term in the inequality supposed to be y2 or y4?

--Elucidus

ah yes, thank you, it's been fixed

it's just the same as the previous part isn't it?

emyt said:
it's just the same as the previous part isn't it?

well, I've tried this:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
x^4+x^3y+x^2y^2+xy^3+y^4 &> 0\\
x^4+y^4+xy(x^2+xy+y^2) &> 0
\end{align*}
[/tex]

and we know from the previous part that x^2 + xy + y^2 is positive, but there's that xy term which doesn't make it as clear cut as the last question.

(x^5 - y^5) / (x-y) ?

btw, check your inbox if you haven't

emyt said:
(x^5 - y^5) / (x-y) ?

Consider cases where x > y and x < y.

(The case where x = y is more easily dealt with in the original polynomial form.)

--Elucidus

yes, that's why I was confused - he came up with the same proof in his last thread

Elucidus said:
Consider cases where x > y and x < y.

(The case where x = y is more easily dealt with in the original polynomial form.)

--Elucidus

haha, i guess come up with that in my last thread. oops.

What is the equation "Solving for Prove That x^4+x^3y+x^2y^2+xy^3+y^4>0"?

The equation is an inequality that states that the sum of a fourth degree term, a third degree term, a second degree term, a first degree term, and a constant term is greater than zero.

What is the purpose of solving this equation?

The purpose is to prove that the inequality holds true for all values of x and y, which would demonstrate a specific property of polynomials.

What are the basic steps for solving this equation?

The basic steps involve factoring the equation, setting each factor to equal zero, and analyzing the sign of each factor to determine when the inequality is true.

What techniques can be used to solve this equation?

Techniques such as factoring, substitution, and using the properties of inequalities can be used to solve this equation.

What are some common misconceptions about solving this equation?

Some common misconceptions include assuming that all values of x and y will yield a positive result, not considering the possibility of complex solutions, and not accounting for all possible cases when analyzing the sign of each factor.