1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another proof

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone. I know i keep posting all these questions, but each question in my textbook just keeps on bringing on new challenges. Is there a rule against posting to many questions?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]
    \text{Prove that if}
    \begin{math}
    x
    \end{math}
    \text{and}
    \begin{math}
    y
    \end{math}
    \text{are not both 0, then}
    \begin{equation*}
    x^4+x^3y+x^2y^2+xy^3+y^4>0
    \end{equation*}
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

This is the second part of a question I posted earlier (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338240). I'm guessing the questions are related somehow, but all the methods used on the earlier question don't seem to work on this question.

I tried grouping all the positive terms ([tex]x^4, y^4, x^2y^2[/tex]) and separating the equation based on those, and it works for the cases where x and y are both positive or both negative, but when they have opposite signs, it's impossible to figure out.

Any hints? I know that multiplying by (x-y) gives [tex]x^5-y^5[/tex], but I don't know how much that helps.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2
    Iis the last term in the inequality supposed to be y2 or y4?

--Elucidus

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    ah yes, thank you, it's been fixed

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4
    it's just the same as the previous part isn't it?

6. Sep 18, 2009 #5
    well, i've tried this:

[tex]
    \begin{align*}
    x^4+x^3y+x^2y^2+xy^3+y^4 &> 0\\
    x^4+y^4+xy(x^2+xy+y^2) &> 0
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]

and we know from the previous part that x^2 + xy + y^2 is positive, but there's that xy term which doesn't make it as clear cut as the last question.

7. Sep 18, 2009 #6
    (x^5 - y^5) / (x-y) ?

btw, check your inbox if you haven't

8. Sep 18, 2009 #7
    Consider cases where x > y and x < y.

(The case where x = y is more easily dealt with in the original polynomial form.)

--Elucidus

9. Sep 18, 2009 #8
    yes, that's why I was confused - he came up with the same proof in his last thread

10. Sep 18, 2009 #9
    haha, i guess come up with that in my last thread. oops.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook