1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another puzzle

1. Mar 17, 2005 #1
    Here is another brain Teaser......

in 2D not 3D assume crossing lines disrupts the electric feild,

3 houses need to be hooked up to electrical, telephone and gas. Is it possible to hook every house up to every building without crossing lines?

I know this is impossible but can anyone prove it, id be interested to see how.

Yeah some teacher once actually told me that same thing a few years ago in high school and i didnt believe them after trying about 500 times to solve the darn thing.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Euler proved a beautiful theorem for polyhedra with the following analogon for graphs (The problem is a graph problem. You have to find a planar graph (i.e. a graph that can be drawn on a flat plane without the lines intersecting).

If you have a planar graph with n>0 vertices, m lines (branches, edges) and r regions (including the outer region), then: n-m+r=2

You can use this to prove the problem has no solution.

I found a site about it:
    http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.3utilities.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook