Can I switch to EE without any engineering background?

• Thread starter Poop-Loops
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Physics and then switching to a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering if the individual decides not to pursue a PhD. The conversation also touches on the job opportunities for those with a degree in Physics versus Engineering, as well as the differences between Science and Engineering.
Poop-Loops
Ok, so in my other thread people told me I can get a BS in Phyics and then if I chicken out of the 7 year Grad. School thing, I can instead get a Masters in EE, yes? I love the idea of having a choice like that.

So, my question is, if I do decide to switch to EE, would I need to have any engineering background? Like if I hadn't taken a single engineering course in my life, could I still do that? Because the only EE class at my school right now is "fundamentals of EE" which is only a 4 credit course. And I'd have to take a bunch of other stuff like statics or whatever as pre-requisites. I'd much rather just take some C++ courses, since I'm really interested in computer science now (but not enough to spend my entire life in a cubicle =/ ). Or, would it pay off in the long run to take those engineering courses instead?

PL

Physics news on Phys.org
You can absolutely get into graduate EE programs with undergrad degrees in physics or math. I think it's easier for PhD programs though, because Masters degrees tend to want results immediately, so you kinda got to know something about something that you're working on.

There are lots of areas in "EE" that could easily fall into physics, or applied math, or any number of other areas. So if you're looking for a degree that will get you a job while using physics knowledge, it's a good choice.

Are you sure you want to be a physics major? I wanted to do that, but unless you get a doctorate in physics, there are not as many job opportunities as an engineering degree. Perhaps you should do engineering and get your bachelors and from there, decide if you want to go to graduate school to get a doctorate in physics. This is my plan anyway, I want to get a degree in nuclear physics.

I heard the other way is better. Get a bachelors in Physics, then either go get a doctorate in Physics or switch to EE.

PL

i am in third year in nuclear engineer at A&M. i am in the same situation as yours- I want to change my major to physics or computer science which i am good at. I feel a big difference between science and engineer. Science explains things very deep and clear, but engineer doesn't (just my thought). So if u are better at theoretical thinkings. you should go for science.

Poop-Loops, if you are absolutely sure you want to go for a doctorate, then that is a better plan. A bachelors in physics would definately prepare you better for a graduate school.

I'm not sure, but people have told me that even if I choose not to get a Ph.D. in Physics, I can switch over to EE no problem.

Computer science is very interesting to me (since I am sure I have OCD. I can stare at my computer and debug code for hours and like it), but I don't want to end up in a cubicle.

PL

tackenguyen said:
... I feel a big difference between science and engineer. Science explains things very deep and clear, but engineer doesn't (just my thought). So if u are better at theoretical thinkings. you should go for science.

I don't know about the size of the difference but I wouldn't compare science and engineering, sure science would go deeper but that is not the aim of engineering. Engineering deals with the use of math and science to solve real world problems.

1. What is EE?

EE stands for Electrical Engineering, which is a field of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

2. What are the main topics covered in EE?

Some of the main topics covered in EE include circuit analysis, electronics, electromagnetics, power systems, control systems, and signal processing.

3. What are the job opportunities for EE graduates?

EE graduates have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as power generation, telecommunications, electronics, and automation. They can work as design engineers, project managers, researchers, consultants, and more.

4. What skills are required to be successful in EE?

To be successful in EE, one must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a good understanding of mathematics and physics. Additionally, good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working effectively in a team.

5. Can someone without a background in EE pursue a career in this field?

Yes, it is possible for someone without an EE background to pursue a career in this field. Many universities offer introductory courses in EE for students from non-technical backgrounds, and there are also online resources available for self-study. However, a strong interest and aptitude for mathematics and science are essential for success in EE.