Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another question about Pi

1. Nov 15, 2005 #1
    I saw the other thread, but figured this question was sufficiently distinct to warrent a new thread
    I was recently looking at this series
    [tex]\[
    \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^{2}} = 1 + \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{9} + \frac{1}{16} + \cdots + \frac{1}{n^{2}} = \frac{\pi^{2}}{6} \approx 1.645
    \][/tex]
    My math teacher gave me the answer of [tex]$\pi^{2}$[/tex]/6, and by looking at the sum numerically it seems to come up that way. I'm wondering, though. Where does the [tex]$\pi$[/tex] come from?
    I tried to find an expression for the k'th term of the sum, and came up with this
    [tex]\begin{center}
    \begin{tabular}{| l | c | }
    \hline
    $k$ & $S_k$ \\ \hline
    1 & 1 \\ \hline
    2 & $\frac{5}{4}$ \\ \hline
    3 & $\frac{49}{36}$ \\ \hline
    4 & $\frac{820}{576}$ \\ \hline
    5 & $\frac{21076}{14400}$ \\ \hline
    6 & $\frac{773136}{518400}$ \\ \hline
    \end{tabular}
    \end{center}[/tex]
    Note that the fractions are all left unsimplified. I noticed that all of the denominators were perfect squares:
    [tex]\begin{center}
    \begin{tabular}{| l | c | }
    \hline
    k & S_k \\ \hline
    1 & 1^2 \\ \hline
    2 & 2^2 \\ \hline
    3 & 6^2 \\ \hline
    4 & 24^2 \\ \hline
    5 & 120^2 \\ \hline
    6 & 720^2 \\ \hline
    \end{tabular}
    \end{center}[/tex]
    As you can see, the denominator of the fraction works out to be k!^2. However, I still can't figure out where the pi comes from, or, for that matter, see any pattern in the numerator. Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2005 #2
  4. Nov 15, 2005 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

None of the partial sums will have a pi in them, only approximations (the partial sums are all rational).

This has many ways to prove it:

http://www.maths.ex.ac.uk/~rjc/etc/zeta2.pdf

Depending on what you know, you might find Euler's orignal method (#7 in the above) the easiest to folow. More details on this method can be found in (eq (20) and on):

http://plus.maths.org/issue19/features/infseries/

Though Euler hadn't actually justified his product form for sin(x), it can be done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?