Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Another Question: Find the work done by the kinetic frictional force

1. Feb 25, 2005 #1
    A 300N force is pulling an 90.0 kg refrigerator across a horizontal surface. The force acts at an angle of 22.0° above the surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.200, and the refrigerator moves a distance of 6.00 m.

i found out the work done by pulling force is 1669 J and its asking for the work done by the kinetic frictional force!
    here's what i did but the answer is wrong though...i tried a million times and it's still wrong! i know something's wrong here and i know it's not the acceleration of gravity or m...hmm

i did
    mg times mu=9.8*90*.2
    then i times it by the distance to get work. 176.4N*6m=1058.4 J
    which is WRONG! arghh.......am i missing something here? :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2005 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

The friction is equal the normal force multiplied by the coefficient of friction.

[itex] F_{fr} = \mu F_N[/itex]

As the refrigerator slides on a horizontal plane the vertical component of the resultant force is zero. This vertical component is the normal force + vertical component of the pulling force - mg.

[itex] F_N+ F\sin (\alpha) - mg = 0 [/itex].

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook