1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Question: Find the work done by the kinetic frictional force

1. Feb 25, 2005 #1
    A 300N force is pulling an 90.0 kg refrigerator across a horizontal surface. The force acts at an angle of 22.0° above the surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.200, and the refrigerator moves a distance of 6.00 m.

i found out the work done by pulling force is 1669 J and its asking for the work done by the kinetic frictional force!
    here's what i did but the answer is wrong though...i tried a million times and it's still wrong! i know something's wrong here and i know it's not the acceleration of gravity or m...hmm

i did
    mg times mu=9.8*90*.2
    then i times it by the distance to get work. 176.4N*6m=1058.4 J
    which is WRONG! arghh.......am i missing something here? :rofl:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2005 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The friction is equal the normal force multiplied by the coefficient of friction.

[itex] F_{fr} = \mu F_N[/itex]

As the refrigerator slides on a horizontal plane the vertical component of the resultant force is zero. This vertical component is the normal force + vertical component of the pulling force - mg.

[itex] F_N+ F\sin (\alpha) - mg = 0 [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?