Another Question: Find the work done by the kinetic frictional force

In summary, the work done by the kinetic frictional force can be calculated by multiplying the normal force (equal to the weight of the refrigerator) by the coefficient of kinetic friction and the distance the refrigerator moves. In this case, it would be 90kg * 9.8m/s^2 * 0.200 * 6m = 1058.4 J. However, this answer may be incorrect due to a missing component in the equation or incorrect values used. Further analysis may be needed to determine the accurate work done by the kinetic frictional force.
zizikaboo
A 300N force is pulling an 90.0 kg refrigerator across a horizontal surface. The force acts at an angle of 22.0° above the surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.200, and the refrigerator moves a distance of 6.00 m.

i found out the work done by pulling force is 1669 J and its asking for the work done by the kinetic frictional force!
here's what i did but the answer is wrong though...i tried a million times and it's still wrong! i know something's wrong here and i know it's not the acceleration of gravity or m...hmm

i did
mg times mu=9.8*90*.2
then i times it by the distance to get work. 176.4N*6m=1058.4 J
which is WRONG! arghh...am i missing something here? :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
zizikaboo said:
A 300N force is pulling an 90.0 kg refrigerator across a horizontal surface. The force acts at an angle of 22.0° above the surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.200, and the refrigerator moves a distance of 6.00 m.

i did
mg times mu=9.8*90*.2
then i times it by the distance to get work. 176.4N*6m=1058.4 J
which is WRONG!

The friction is equal the normal force multiplied by the coefficient of friction.

[itex] F_{fr} = \mu F_N[/itex]

As the refrigerator slides on a horizontal plane the vertical component of the resultant force is zero. This vertical component is the normal force + vertical component of the pulling force - mg.

[itex] F_N+ F\sin (\alpha) - mg = 0 [/itex].

ehild

The correct way to calculate the work done by the kinetic frictional force is to use the formula W = Fd cosθ, where W is the work done, F is the force, d is the distance, and θ is the angle between the force and the displacement.

In this case, the force acting against the movement of the refrigerator is the kinetic frictional force, which is given by Ff = μN, where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force. The normal force is equal to the weight of the refrigerator, so N = mg.

Plugging in the given values, we get Ff = (0.200)(90 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 176.4 N. Now, we can calculate the work done by the kinetic frictional force using the formula: W = Ff d cosθ = (176.4 N)(6.00 m)cos(180°) = -1058.4 J.

Note that the work done by the kinetic frictional force is negative because it is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement. This means that the kinetic frictional force is doing negative work, which is taking away energy from the system. Therefore, the total work done by all forces on the refrigerator is the sum of the work done by the pulling force (1669 J) and the work done by the kinetic frictional force (-1058.4 J), which is equal to 611.6 J.

1. What is kinetic frictional force?

Kinetic frictional force is a type of force that acts against the movement of an object on a surface. It is caused by the interaction between the surface and the object, and it is present when the object is in motion.

2. How is kinetic frictional force calculated?

The magnitude of kinetic frictional force can be calculated using the equation Fk = μN, where Fk is the force, μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of kinetic frictional force?

The magnitude of kinetic frictional force depends on the coefficient of kinetic friction, which is determined by the type of surfaces in contact, and the normal force, which is the force exerted by the surface on the object perpendicular to the contact surface.

4. How does kinetic frictional force affect the work done on an object?

Kinetic frictional force does negative work on an object, meaning it decreases the object's kinetic energy. This is because the force acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to lose energy.

5. Can the work done by kinetic frictional force be positive?

No, the work done by kinetic frictional force is always negative. This is because the force acts in the direction opposite to the object's displacement, causing it to lose energy. If the force and displacement are in the same direction, the work done would be positive, but this is not the case for kinetic frictional force.