Another Question From The Newbie

• Thread starter rathma
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation centers around the various customizable titles that users can have under their names on the forum. The process for obtaining and changing these titles is discussed, as well as the possibility of becoming a mentor and receiving a signature. The conversation also touches on the culture of sarcasm on the forum.
rathma
Sorry about this one, you guys, but it's been burning at my curiosity. How do you get those little things under your name, like a great many people have "Registered User," but I've seen people with all sorts of weird ones, like jimmy p and his "Chopnik," I've seen several "Radio Waves," I think it's zoobyshoe that has "Honorary Gray Space Alien" under his...I don't know, there are tons of them, all different. How did you guys do that? I have some funny ones that I can think of, but I don't know the correct procedure for implementing one. Help a guy out?

(Monique, you will probably read this eventually, so I'm sorry for misunderstanding a previous response to one of my posts. :redface: Forgive me?)

Physics news on Phys.org
rathma, what kind of drugs are you on? Seeing things again?
Man I wouldn't call zoobyshoe an Honorary Gray Space Alien if I were you, not if you know what's good for you.

rathma, before the update when you reach 100 posts you get a customized rank. I don't know if it's still implemented now as I don't see it in my User cp.

Last edited:
It's TRUE!

tribdog said:
...I wouldn't call zoobyshoe an Honorary Gray Space Alien if I were you, not if you know what's good for you.
Despite the no doubt verity of this statement, my advice for you is this:Find a post by zoobyshoe, and look under his name. There you will see the words "Honorary Gray Space Alien," unless I'm very much mistaken. (Which I'm not. :tongue: )

Last edited:
YOU Don't??

The_Professional said:
I don't know if it's still implemented now as I don't see it in my User cp.
Why don't you know? You HAVE one!

tribdog said:
rathma, what kind of drugs are you on?
And for your information, tribdog, I am not on anything but egotiscity!

Last edited:
In the old forum people were automatically ranked according to how many posts they had made by being labeled as progressively more energetic levels of the electromagnetic spectrum. After you had made 100 posts you had the option of making up your own label if you were sick of being one form of wave or another.

I believe the label could be changed on the same page where you could edit your profile. I don't know if there is a minimum numer of posts required to "earn" the option to change in this new format or not.

I have never told anyone not to call me an Honorary Gray Space Alien.

Zoob

rathma said:
Why don't you know? You HAVE one!

What I meant to say was, the Rank cannot be customized as before. Sure the previous one still shows up, but there's no option to change it.

Last edited:
I like cookies.

That is all.

cookiemonster

I like cookies, too. :wink: :biggrin:

I think, with the new format, that option is not available to anyone anymore. It may be that, when you become a 'paid member' this option might be one of the perks. I'm not sure... See this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=16638&goto=newpost

I'm not sure about signatures either. I noticed some people still have their signatures, but mine is gone. There is no option to add one, either. At least that I can find.

Heh, signatures don't bother me. I just type mine out every time anyway. It's a lot of work, but I manage.

cookiemonster

Only Mentors can have sigs for free..Sooooo fill up your Mentor application :P

Greg would have to be insane to select someone like me as a mentor.

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:

cookiemonster

the cookiementor? hey that sounds good actually!

cookiemonster said:

cookiemonster

then you shouldn't have a problem. Anyone who spends as much time working on physicsforums must be insane.

Despite the no doubt verity of this statement, my advice for you is this:Find a post by zoobyshoe, and look under his name. There you will see the words "Honorary Gray Space Alien," unless I'm very much mistaken. (Which I'm not. )
Rathma, rathma, rathma.
Sarcasm is rooted deep in PF culture... :wink:

photon said:
Rathma, rathma, rathma.
Sarcasm is rooted deep in PF culture... :wink:
VERY deep! :wink: :biggrin:

Really? I hadnt noticed...

rowfull el mayo

tribdog said:
rowfull el mayo
What? What on Earth (or off it) does "rowfull el mayo" mean? The 'el' means 'the', 'mayo' I suppose is a reference to a popular sandwich dressing, but what the heck does 'rowfull' mean?

Last edited:
It's a transliteration of the acronym ROFLMAO: rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off.

- Warren

1. What is "Another Question From The Newbie" about?

"Another Question From The Newbie" is a general reference to any question asked by a newcomer or beginner in a particular field or subject. It could be a question about a specific topic, a request for clarification, or a query about how to get started.

2. Why do people ask so many questions as beginners?

As beginners, people are still learning and trying to understand the basics of a subject or field. Asking questions is a natural way to gain knowledge and fill in any gaps in their understanding. It also shows a desire to learn and improve.

3. Is it okay to ask questions as a beginner?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask questions as a beginner. It is important to have a curious and inquisitive mindset when learning something new. Asking questions not only helps you gain knowledge, but it also helps others who may have similar questions but are hesitant to ask.

4. How can I ask better questions as a newbie?

To ask better questions, it is important to do some research beforehand and try to understand the basics of the subject. This will help you ask more specific and targeted questions. Additionally, be clear and concise in your question and provide any relevant context or background information.

5. Should I be afraid of asking "stupid" questions as a newbie?

No, you should never be afraid of asking questions, even if they may seem "stupid" to you. Remember that everyone starts as a beginner and asking questions is a crucial part of the learning process. It is better to ask and gain knowledge than to stay silent and remain confused.