Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Question From The Newbie

1. Mar 29, 2004 #1
    Sorry about this one, you guys, but it's been burning at my curiosity. How do you get those little things under your name, like a great many people have "Registered User," but I've seen people with all sorts of weird ones, like jimmy p and his "Chopnik," I've seen several "Radio Waves," I think it's zoobyshoe that has "Honorary Gray Space Alien" under his...I don't know, there are tons of them, all different. How did you guys do that? I have some funny ones that I can think of, but I don't know the correct procedure for implementing one. Help a guy out?

(Monique, you will probably read this eventually, so I'm sorry for misunderstanding a previous response to one of my posts. :redface: Forgive me?)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2004 #2
    rathma, what kind of drugs are you on? Seeing things again?
    Man I wouldn't call zoobyshoe an Honorary Gray Space Alien if I were you, not if you know what's good for you.
  4. Mar 29, 2004 #3
    rathma, before the update when you reach 100 posts you get a customized rank. I don't know if it's still implemented now as I dont see it in my User cp.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  5. Mar 29, 2004 #4
    It's TRUE!!

Despite the no doubt verity of this statement, my advice for you is this:Find a post by zoobyshoe, and look under his name. There you will see the words "Honorary Gray Space Alien," unless I'm very much mistaken. (Which I'm not. :tongue: )
  6. Mar 29, 2004 #5
    YOU Don't??

Why don't you know? You HAVE one!!

And for your information, tribdog, I am not on anything but egotiscity!!
  7. Mar 29, 2004 #6
    In the old forum people were automatically ranked according to how many posts they had made by being labeled as progressively more energetic levels of the electromagnetic spectrum. After you had made 100 posts you had the option of making up your own label if you were sick of being one form of wave or another.

I believe the label could be changed on the same page where you could edit your profile. I don't know if there is a minimum numer of posts required to "earn" the option to change in this new format or not.

I have never told anyone not to call me an Honorary Gray Space Alien.

8. Mar 29, 2004 #7
    What I meant to say was, the Rank cannot be customized as before. Sure the previous one still shows up, but there's no option to change it.
  9. Mar 29, 2004 #8
    I like cookies.

That is all.

10. Mar 29, 2004 #9

Gold Member

I like cookies, too. :wink: :biggrin:

I think, with the new format, that option is not available to anyone anymore. It may be that, when you become a 'paid member' this option might be one of the perks. I'm not sure... See this thread:

I'm not sure about signatures either. I noticed some people still have their signatures, but mine is gone. There is no option to add one, either. At least that I can find.
  11. Mar 29, 2004 #10
    Heh, signatures don't bother me. I just type mine out every time anyway. It's a lot of work, but I manage.

12. Mar 29, 2004 #11
    Only Mentors can have sigs for free..Sooooo fill up your Mentor application :P
  13. Mar 29, 2004 #12
    Greg would have to be insane to select someone like me as a mentor.

14. Mar 30, 2004 #13

jimmy p

Gold Member

the cookiementor??? hey that sounds good actually!!!
  15. Mar 30, 2004 #14
    then you shouldn't have a problem. Anyone who spends as much time working on physicsforums must be insane.
  16. Mar 30, 2004 #15
    Rathma, rathma, rathma.
    Sarcasm is rooted deep in PF culture... :wink:
  17. Mar 30, 2004 #16

Gold Member

VERY deep! :wink: :biggrin:
  18. Mar 31, 2004 #17

jimmy p

Gold Member

Really???? I hadnt noticed...
  19. Mar 31, 2004 #18
    rowfull el mayo
  20. May 7, 2004 #19
    What? What on earth (or off it) does "rowfull el mayo" mean? The 'el' means 'the', 'mayo' I suppose is a reference to a popular sandwich dressing, but what the heck does 'rowfull' mean?
    Last edited: May 7, 2004
  21. May 7, 2004 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a transliteration of the acronym ROFLMAO: rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?