How Does Gravitational Force Vary Between Two Planets with Identical Radii?

• Thread starter pinky2468
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the difference in masses between two planets based on the gravitational force exerted on a robot. The formula for calculating this difference is provided, but there is confusion about the weight of each planet. It is clarified that the weight difference of the robot on each planet should be used, and not the weight of the planets themselves.
pinky2468
Another question! Gravitaional Force ?

I know this is easy, but for some reason I am getting stuck!
The mass of a robot is 5450kg. This robot weighs 3620N more on Planet A than on Planet B. Both planets have a radius of 1.33^7. What is the difference Ma-Mb in the masses of these planets.
I think that I need to set the gravitaional force on A(minus 3620) equal to gravitaional force on B. I know teh G and the r's are the same. I am confused on how to put it into the formula and figure out what I am looking for?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
Let the weight of planet A be given by [tex]W_{A}[/tex], while the mass of planet A by [tex]m_{A}[/tex] (similarly for planet B; mass of robot:[tex]m_{R}[/tex]
We then have, for example:
[tex]W_{B}=\frac{Gm_{B}m_{R}}{r^{2}}[/tex]
which you may rewrite as:
[tex]m_{B}=\frac{r^{2}}{Gm_{R}}W_{B}[/tex]

I see where you are going, but what are you using for W of planet A or B. We only know the weight and mass of the robot. Are you saying to do each planet seperately and then subtract the answers?

You do know the weight difference, don't you?

Oh, I'm sorry, I just saw my mistake:
I meant "Weight of robot on planet A" and so on..
Shame on me..
:redface:

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating off into space.

2. How is gravitational force calculated?

The strength of gravitational force between two objects is calculated using the equation F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect gravitational force?

The strength of gravitational force is affected by the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the masses, the greater the force, and the farther apart the objects are, the weaker the force.

4. How does distance affect gravitational force?

As the distance between two objects increases, the gravitational force between them decreases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects, according to the equation F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2.

5. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to gravitational force?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force acting on the object. However, both mass and weight play a role in determining the strength of gravitational force between two objects.