Another question,(hope it isnt boring)

• Thread starter idontthinkright
  • Start date
In summary, it would take you 13.2 minutes to get to the hat if you continue rowing at 4 1/4, and if you turn around and don't paddle you will not move at all wrt the hat's inertial frame.
idontthinkright
You are canoeing upstream of a river,the current against you is 3 mph.You are rowing at 4 and 1/4.Your hat falls onto the water and only after 45 minutes,you then realize that it is gone.in a split second you make an instantaneous,acceleration-free turnabout to get your hat.

How long will it take for you to get it back?

(this looks like a math question,but trust me it isnt.)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a viewpoint question. Did you read the fine book Count Down (about the Math Counts program)?

i haven't read any,but i have read richard feynmans "genius" book,an autobiography of his life.

By the way,have you found the answer?:smile:

No one would wear a valuable hat whilst canoeing, so it wouldn't matter if you didn't get the hat back. Therefore, no time, because I wouldn't get the hat. The. End.

you'd never get your hat because you'd always be traveling at the same speed after it with the current and be 45 mins behind, as no mention of any paddling was made in an attempt to retrieve the hat. Best guess anyway. that or an instantaneous acceleration free turnabout is impossible.

Kurdt you almost got it correct(darn).when instantaneous free-acceleration turnabout is possible,the river and gravity becomes irrevelent.Focusing your point of view onto the hat..and you will see it keeping still.Realising it is missing,it will take you 45 mins to row back to where you lost it About the paddling thing,if it is acceleration-free,your own inertia will need no paddling,thats the part you sort of got correct. :smile:

Last edited:
The hat is at rest wrt the river flow (inertial frame!). So wrt the hat all the speeds go away and it's just a time problem.

Etak said:
No one would wear a valuable hat whilst canoeing, so it wouldn't matter if you didn't get the hat back. Therefore, no time, because I wouldn't get the hat. The. End.

I agree.Just buy another hat. :tongue2:

How much is that ?Is that cheap ?
If that is, I suggest you buy 1000 hats and use one by one till the day you go to he||.

i don't know about you guys, but I am going to post a few more questions.By the way to find the answer you NEED the hat for the question.It don't matter whether its logical,or not.It is focused rather on inertial frame and point reference.

The hat will be 4950 ft from you when you make the turnabout. How long it takes you to get to it depends on the speed you move wrt to the hat's inertial frame. If you simply turn around but don't paddle after it, you will not move at all wrt that frame. If you continue rowing at 4 1/4, you'll get there in 13.2 minutes (to three significant figures).

lol loseyourname, once you start calculating,you're already WRONG. the speeds, current,gravity are all irrelevant when it is acceleration-free.Without gravity, the hat will be in mid-air and stuck there,and gravity doesn't affect your current rowing and you continue rowing with no resistance whatsoever.The final answer will still be 45 mins.4950ft may be part of the process but in acceleration-free environment,(like self-adjoint said)it becomes only a time problem.By the way,the question itself in actual testing is given only 45 seconds to answer.

The hat fell into the boat which had water in it. Pick it up and place it on you head.

or

Turn the boat around drop anchor and wait until the hat comes to you, who said you were going against the current? The current against you is 3mph either way.

The third is the normal obvious assumption.

Books are what you need while you don't open the one you are born with. Real wisdom, mine, it comes from the water.

What is the meaning of "Another question,(hope it isnt boring)"?

The phrase "Another question,(hope it isnt boring)" is a common way of introducing a new question or topic of conversation. The speaker is acknowledging that they have already asked a question and are now asking another one, but they hope it is not uninteresting or repetitive.

Why do people use the phrase "Another question,(hope it isnt boring)"?

Using this phrase can help to break the ice and make a conversation more engaging. It also shows consideration for the listener's potential boredom and can make them more willing to listen and respond.

Is "Another question,(hope it isnt boring)" considered polite?

Yes, this phrase is generally considered polite and respectful. It shows that the speaker is aware of the listener's time and attention, and is seeking permission to ask another question.

Can "Another question,(hope it isnt boring)" be used in a formal setting?

Yes, this phrase can be used in a formal setting, such as a business meeting or a professional presentation. It can help to create a more friendly and approachable atmosphere while still maintaining a level of professionalism.

Are there any similar phrases to "Another question,(hope it isnt boring)"?

Yes, there are several similar phrases that can be used in different contexts, such as "May I ask another question?", "I have one more question for you," or "If I may, I have a follow-up question." These phrases all serve the same purpose of introducing a new question while showing respect for the listener.