1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another question in linear algebra.

1. Jun 24, 2007 #1
    I need to prove that if T1 and T2 are linear operators, then
    dim(kerT1)+dim(KerT2)>=dim(Ker(T1oT2)).

now, i thought to show that Ker(T1oT2) is a subset of ker(T1), and then it obviously follows, but here im stuck: if u in ker(T1oT2) then T1(T2(u))=0 so T2(u) is in Ker(T1) but i need to show that u is in kerT1, if it's correct.

any hints.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can I change it to S and T, rather than T1 and T2, which, let's face it, is a very bad notation.

ker(ST) is certainly not a subset (or even subspace) of ker(S). There is no reason to suppose that T maps ker(S) into ker(S), which is what you are trying (and therefore failing) to show.

u is in ker(ST) if either T(u)=0, or T(u) lies in ker(S). Of course T(u)=0 implies that T(u) is in ker(S), thus all you need to do is to work out the dimension of the preimage of ker(S) under T.

The pre-image of any subspace V under a map T is a subspace of the form U+ker(T), with the sum not necessarily direct, and T mapping U isomorphically to V. (This is just the isomorphism theorems in action.) This completely solves your problem, and was just writing out the definitions.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  4. Jun 24, 2007 #3

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have things reversed.
    [tex]\mathop{ker}(T_2) \subseteq \mathop{ker}(T_1\circ T_2)[/tex]

But that won't prove your inequality either but it is one step. Also consider the space
    [tex] \mathbf{N}= \mathop{ker}(T_1\circ T_2) - \mathop{ker}(T_2)[/tex]
    and its image:
    [tex]\mathbf{N}'= T_2(\mathbf{N})[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  5. Jun 25, 2007 #4
    so you mean i need to find the dimension of T^-1(kerS), right?

6. Jun 25, 2007 #5
    ah, ok i see it's only an application of dim(ImT)+dim(KerT)=dimV.

7. Jun 25, 2007 #6

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There ya go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?