Can Geometrical Optics Queries Be Shared More Effectively Than in ZIP Files?

In summary, the conversation discusses the object distance and image of a real object in front of a concave or convex surface. It is noted that the object image can be negative only when it is used as an object for a second lens or surface and falls behind it. The terms "in front" and "behind" are determined by the first lens, with the location of the object being considered the "front side." The conversation also mentions that the attachment contains a question, doubt, and solution, but apologizes for the file format being *.zip.
Sanosuke Sagara
I have my question,doubt and solution in the attachment that followed.Thanks for anybody that spend some time on this question.Sorry to say that the file format is *.zip .

Attachments

• optics question 2.zip
    13.3 KB · Views: 250
Physics news on Phys.org
Sanosuke Sagara said:
I have my question,doubt and solution in the attachment that followed.Thanks for anybody that spend some time on this question.Sorry to say that the file format is *.zip .

Well, the object distance is always positive if it is a real object, either it is in front of a concave or convex surface. The object image can be negative only when an image serves as an object for a second lens or surface and falls behind it. "In front" and "behind" is determined by the first lens. Where the object is, that is the "front side".

ehild

Hello,

Thank you for providing your question, doubt, and solution in the attached file. However, as a scientist, it is important to ensure that any information or data shared is accessible and understandable to others. The use of a .zip file format may make it difficult for others to open and view your content.

In the future, I suggest using a more widely accessible file format, such as PDF or Word, to share your information. This will make it easier for others to engage with your work and potentially provide helpful insights or solutions.

Thank you for your understanding and consideration.

Best,

1. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection is the bouncing back of light when it hits a smooth surface, while refraction is the bending of light when it passes through a different medium.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of reflection?

The angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This is known as the law of reflection.

3. Can you explain the concept of total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection occurs when a light ray strikes the boundary of two mediums at an angle greater than the critical angle, causing all of the light to be reflected back into the original medium.

4. How does the shape of a lens affect the way light is refracted?

The shape of a lens, specifically its curvature, determines the amount of bending that occurs when light passes through it. A convex lens will converge light, while a concave lens will diverge light.

5. What is the difference between real and virtual images?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, while a virtual image is formed when light rays only appear to originate from a certain point but do not actually converge.