1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another question

1. Jul 22, 2007 #1
    if change in potential energy = change in kinetic energy the forumla is

PEi + KEi = PEf +KEf

but change in kinetic energy by itself is: KEf- KEi

and change in potential energy is: PEf-PEi

so should change in potential energy = change in kinetic energy therefore be

KEf-KEi = PEf-PEi ?

I was looking at some questions and they were done differently...

My thinking is that it should be the first one--right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is a very random question, since you give no circumstances behind the question. However, its in intro physics so I'm gonna take a guess.

Your first equation does not say that change in potential energy is equal to change in kinetic energy: rather it says that the sum of the potential and kinetic energy for a system at two different occasions is equal-- i.e. the total energy of a system is conserved. This is true for all closed systems.

For example, consider a ball rolling down a slope from rest, ignoring resistance. At the top of the ramp, the ball has a value of potential energy, call it V_i and zero kinetic energy. Thus V_i is the total energy of this system. If we then let the ball roll down the slope, halfway down it will have some potential and some kinetic energy: call these V_1 and K_1, respectively. Now, from conservation of energy, we know that V_1+K_1=V_i. Finally, when the ball reaches the bottom of the slope, all its energy is kinetic, K_f. Again, due to conservation of energy we obtain K_f=V_i.

So, we see that the first equation you cite is correct.

4. Jul 22, 2007 #3
    I guess you are wrong there..
    that equations means that total mechanical energy is constant
    at certain given time Eti=PEi+KEi

so at another time
    Etf=PEf+KEf

but Etf=Eti (constant)..

5. Jul 22, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Hmm.. I suppose that's not what I wrote in my post is it? :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?