Change in Kinetic & Potential Energy: Is KEf-KEi = PEf-PEi?

• Thread starter username*
  • Start date
In summary, the first equation says that the sum of potential and kinetic energy is always conserved. The second equation says that the total mechanical energy is always conserved at a certain given time, no matter what.
username*
if change in potential energy = change in kinetic energy the forumla is

PEi + KEi = PEf +KEf

but change in kinetic energy by itself is: KEf- KEi

and change in potential energy is: PEf-PEi

so should change in potential energy = change in kinetic energy therefore be

KEf-KEi = PEf-PEi ?

I was looking at some questions and they were done differently...

My thinking is that it should be the first one--right?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a very random question, since you give no circumstances behind the question. However, its in intro physics so I'm going to take a guess.

Your first equation does not say that change in potential energy is equal to change in kinetic energy: rather it says that the sum of the potential and kinetic energy for a system at two different occasions is equal-- i.e. the total energy of a system is conserved. This is true for all closed systems.

For example, consider a ball rolling down a slope from rest, ignoring resistance. At the top of the ramp, the ball has a value of potential energy, call it V_i and zero kinetic energy. Thus V_i is the total energy of this system. If we then let the ball roll down the slope, halfway down it will have some potential and some kinetic energy: call these V_1 and K_1, respectively. Now, from conservation of energy, we know that V_1+K_1=V_i. Finally, when the ball reaches the bottom of the slope, all its energy is kinetic, K_f. Again, due to conservation of energy we obtain K_f=V_i.

So, we see that the first equation you cite is correct.

if change in potential energy = change in kinetic energy the forumla is

PEi + KEi = PEf +KEf

I guess you are wrong there..
that equations means that total mechanical energy is constant
at certain given time Eti=PEi+KEi

so at another time
Etf=PEf+KEf

but Etf=Eti (constant)..

rootX said:
I guess you are wrong there..
that equations means that total mechanical energy is constant
at certain given time Eti=PEi+KEi

so at another time
Etf=PEf+KEf

but Etf=Eti (constant)..

Hmm.. I suppose that's not what I wrote in my post is it? :rolleyes:

1. What is the equation for calculating change in kinetic and potential energy?

The equation for calculating change in kinetic and potential energy is KEf-KEi = PEf-PEi, where KEf is the final kinetic energy, KEi is the initial kinetic energy, PEf is the final potential energy, and PEi is the initial potential energy.

2. How is kinetic energy affected by an object's mass and velocity?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's mass and velocity. This means that as an object's mass or velocity increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

3. What factors affect potential energy?

The factors that affect potential energy include an object's mass, height, and the force acting on it (such as gravity or a spring). An increase in any of these factors will result in an increase in potential energy.

4. Can an object have both kinetic and potential energy at the same time?

Yes, an object can have both kinetic and potential energy at the same time. For example, a ball at the top of a hill has potential energy due to its position, but also has kinetic energy as it starts rolling down the hill.

5. What happens to an object's kinetic and potential energy when work is done on it?

When work is done on an object, its kinetic and potential energy can change. If work is done to increase an object's velocity, its kinetic energy will increase. If work is done to move an object against a force (such as raising it to a higher height), its potential energy will increase.