Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another question!

1. Aug 12, 2009 #1
    I think this is correct. I would appreciate any input.

Question:
    The potential buyer of a particular engine requires that the engine start successfully 10 consecutive times. Suppose that the probability of a successful start is .990. Consider that the outcomes of attempted starts is independent. What is the probability that the engine is accepted after just 10 starts?

My solution:

P(x<=10) = p(2) + p(3) +.....+ p(10)

where:
    p(2) = P(X = 2) = P(S on #1 and S on #2) = p2
    p(3) = P(S on #3 and S on #2 and F on #1) = (1 – p)p2
    p(4) = P(S on #4 and S on #3 and F on #2) = (1 – p)p2
    p(5) = P(S on #5 and S on #4 and F on #3 and no 2 consecutive S’s on trials prior to #3) = [ 1 – p(2) ](1 – p)p2
    p(6) = P(S on #6 and S on #5 and F on #4 and no 2 consecutive S’s on trials prior to #4) = [ 1 – p(2) – p(3)](1 – p)p2

In general, for x = 5, 6, 7, …: p(x) = [ 1 – p(2) - … – p(x - 3)](1 – p)p2

Does this make any sense?
    AJ

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't make sense of what you wrote. However the probability of 10 successes in a row is simply .9910.

4. Aug 12, 2009 #3
    But what is the question asking for, in terms of probability? That's what I don't understand.

5. Aug 12, 2009 #4

jgens

Gold Member

The buyer will accept the engine if and only if it starts successfully ten consecutive times. This means that the engine is "accepted" if it can start ten times in a row. The question is essentially asking what is the probability of this event occuring? That's why the probability is simply 0.9910 as mathman wrote.

6. Aug 13, 2009 #5
    hmm ok. Thank you for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook