Concentric Pipe Air Ejection: Effects on Flow Mixing and Pressure

• Thread starter sid_galt
  • Start date
In summary: The velocity of the low pressurized stream is small enough, then it could be a backwards flow from the high pressurized stream because the first one wouldn't have the needed inertia to convect the flow downstream.I don't care the inertia difference. I am talking about absolute inertia of each stream. Numerical simulation is needed here.
sid_galt
There are two concentric pipes. The outer pipe is ejecting air at 10 atm and 1200K. The inner pipe is ejecting air at 1 atm and 600K.Mass flow rate is the same and the air is being ejected into a common duct. What will happen?

Will the the two flows mix together in the common duct producing a medium pressure and medium temperature or will the outer pipe exert backpressure on the inner one preventing the air from getting out?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you think happens?

I think the backpressure from the outer flow and the mixed flow will be too much to overcome.

sid_galt said:
I think the backpressure from the outer flow and the mixed flow will be too much to overcome.

Yes, but the 'mixed' flow will occur within the smaller pipe not in the common duct.

sid_galt said:
There are two concentric pipes. The outer pipe is ejecting air at 10 atm and 1200K. The inner pipe is ejecting air at 1 atm and 600K.Mass flow rate is the same and the air is being ejected into a common duct. What will happen?

Will the the two flows mix together in the common duct producing a medium pressure and medium temperature or will the outer pipe exert backpressure on the inner one preventing the air from getting out?

To my understanding the answer is not an easy one. It would depend on the inertia of both streams. Maybe to answer your question it would be needed a numerical simulation. If the velocity of the low pressurized stream is small enough, then it could be a backwards flow from the high pressurized stream because the first one wouldn't have the needed inertia to convect the flow downstream.

Clausius2 said:
To my understanding the answer is not an easy one. It would depend on the inertia of both streams. Maybe to answer your question it would be needed a numerical simulation. If the velocity of the low pressurized stream is small enough, then it could be a backwards flow from the high pressurized stream because the first one wouldn't have the needed inertia to convect the flow downstream.

The mass flow rates of the outer and inner fluid are the same though so inertial differences are negligible.

Clausius2 said:

Or perhaps supersonic flow again with a converging diverging nozzle shape of the inner pipe. Although I don't have much idea how that will play out as the speed of sound is different in both the flows. My best guess is that oblique shock will not occur as the velocity of sound in the outer flow is much higher than in inner flow (assuming the mach numbers in the inner flow are very low but above 1) but as the flow inside the inner pipe is still supersonic, the pressure waves won't travel upwards and the flow wouldn't be blocked.

faust9 said:
The mass flow rates of the outer and inner fluid are the same though so inertial differences are negligible.

I don't care the inertia difference. I am talking about absolute inertia of each stream. Numerical simulation is needed here.

1. What is "Another question"?

"Another question" is a general phrase used to refer to any additional inquiry or doubt that may arise during a conversation or discussion.

2. Why is it important to ask "Another question"?

Asking "Another question" can help clarify misunderstandings, gather more information, and stimulate critical thinking. It can also lead to new insights and perspectives on a topic.

3. How can I effectively ask "Another question"?

To effectively ask "Another question", be specific and concise with your wording, avoid assumptions, and actively listen to the answer. It's also helpful to ask open-ended questions that encourage further discussion.

4. Is there such a thing as a "stupid" "Another question"?

No, there is no such thing as a "stupid" "Another question". Asking questions is a natural and important part of the learning process, and there is always something new to learn or understand.

5. Can asking too many "Another question" be a bad thing?

While asking questions is generally beneficial, asking too many "Another question" can sometimes be disruptive to the flow of a conversation or meeting. It's important to be mindful of the context and timing of your questions and to avoid repetitive or irrelevant inquiries.