1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another ramp question

1. Oct 16, 2005 #1

This question is driving me nuts. I really need help with it, actually i just need help setting up my equations.

Mu = the weird friction sympol

A box of a mass m=22 kg is at rest on a ramp inclined at 45 degrees to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the box and the ramp are "Mu s" = 0.78 and "Mu k" = 0.65.
    a)Determine the magnitude of the largest force that can be applied upward, parallel to the ramp, if the box is to remain at rest.

My equation are:

Fn=Fgy - Fapp
    Fnet = 0
    Fnet = Fgx - Ffs

After that i end up getting two equations for Fapp but when i solve for it i get a negative answer. I also tried flipping Fapp so Fn=Fapp - Fgy but that also won't work, i get the wrong answer.

So can anyone please help get my two equations, theres something wrong with mine.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Please clarify your expressions, what is Fn, what are Fapp and Ffs?

Which way does the friction act?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?