Discovering the Maximum Force to Keep a Box at Rest on an Inclined Ramp

• Thread starter F.B
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about setting up equations involving a box on an inclined ramp with given coefficients of friction. The goal is to determine the largest force that can be applied to keep the box at rest. The equations used are Fnet = 0 and Fnet = Fgx - Ffs, but the person is having trouble getting the correct answer and asks for clarification on the expressions used.
F.B
This question is driving me nuts. I really need help with it, actually i just need help setting up my equations.

Mu = the weird friction sympol

A box of a mass m=22 kg is at rest on a ramp inclined at 45 degrees to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the box and the ramp are "Mu s" = 0.78 and "Mu k" = 0.65.
a)Determine the magnitude of the largest force that can be applied upward, parallel to the ramp, if the box is to remain at rest.

My equation are:

Fn=Fgy - Fapp
Fnet = 0
also
Fnet = Fgx - Ffs

After that i end up getting two equations for Fapp but when i solve for it i get a negative answer. I also tried flipping Fapp so Fn=Fapp - Fgy but that also won't work, i get the wrong answer.

So can anyone please help get my two equations, there's something wrong with mine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please clarify your expressions, what is Fn, what are Fapp and Ffs?

Which way does the friction act?

First of all, it's important to understand the forces acting on the box on the inclined ramp. There are three main forces at play: the weight of the box (mg) acting downward, the normal force (Fn) acting perpendicular to the ramp, and the friction force (Ff) acting parallel to the ramp. The force parallel to the ramp is the one we are interested in, as it is the force that will keep the box at rest.

To determine the maximum force that can be applied upward, we need to consider the maximum value of friction that can be exerted on the box. This is where the coefficient of friction comes into play. The coefficient of static friction (μs) is the measure of the friction force between two surfaces when they are not moving relative to each other. The coefficient of kinetic friction (μk) is the measure of the friction force between two surfaces when they are in motion relative to each other.

In this case, since the box is at rest, we will use the coefficient of static friction. The formula for maximum friction force is Ff = μsFn. So in order to keep the box at rest, the force applied upward must be equal to or less than the maximum friction force.

Now, to set up your equations, you can use the following:

Fnet = 0 (since the box is at rest)
Fgx = mg (weight of the box)
Fn = Fgy (since the box is at rest, the normal force is equal to the weight component perpendicular to the ramp)

Substituting these values into the equation Fnet = Fgx - Ffs, we get:

0 = mg - μsFn

Since we want to find the maximum force that can be applied upward, we need to solve for Fn. So we rearrange the equation to get:

Fn = mg/μs

Substituting the values of m, g, and μs given in the problem, we get:

Fn = (22 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)/0.78 = 279.49 N

So the maximum force that can be applied upward, parallel to the ramp, without the box moving is 279.49 N.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem and set up the equations correctly. Remember, it's important to understand the forces at play and use the appropriate values for the coefficient of friction depending on the situation (static or kinetic). Good luck!

1. What is "Another ramp question"?

"Another ramp question" is a term used in scientific research to refer to a specific type of experiment or study that involves testing the effects of a ramp on an object or system.

2. Why is "Another ramp question" important in scientific research?

"Another ramp question" is important because it allows scientists to investigate the principles of force, motion, and energy transfer, which are fundamental to understanding many natural phenomena and engineering applications.

3. How is "Another ramp question" typically conducted?

In "Another ramp question" experiments, researchers usually set up a ramp at a specific angle and release an object down the ramp to observe its motion and measure various parameters such as velocity, acceleration, and distance traveled.

4. What are some real-world applications of "Another ramp question"?

"Another ramp question" has many real-world applications, such as understanding the mechanics of inclined planes, designing efficient transportation systems, and developing safer sports equipment.

5. What are some factors that can affect the outcome of "Another ramp question" experiments?

The outcome of "Another ramp question" experiments can be affected by factors such as the angle of the ramp, the mass and shape of the object, the surface of the ramp, and external forces such as friction and air resistance.