Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another reason for me to hate the Yankees!

1. Jun 10, 2008 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A Fox News reporter implies that the Obamas' fist bump could have been a "terrorist fist jab":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_vmQrTi3aM&feature=related

The piece goes on to examine non-verbal communication, but she never explains why the fist bump has terrorist implications.

A few days later she apologized. She stated (emphasis added),

"I mentioned the various ways the Obamas' fist pump in St Paul had been characterized in the media. I apologize because unfortunately some thought I personally had characterized it inappropriately. I regret that, it was not my intention, and certainly didn't mean in any way to associate the word "terrorist" in any way with Senator Obama and his wife."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InahUzwRSH8&feature=related

Does anyone know which media she was referring to? Which media outlet first characterized the Obamas' fist bump as a terrorist....anything? I did a search but found nothing about it, except a blog or two. It seems the first (non-blog) outlet that mentions it is Fox News. Does that mean a blog or two is enough to merit mention in the MSM?

Oh, and the entire New York Yankees team...? They might be terrorists, 'cause I see them doing these terrorist fist bumps all the time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Even with their expensive payroll, they're still not going to win the world series this year unless they resort to some form of terrorism. So it could be...

4. Jun 10, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I love it when they lose!

Edit: not that I'm advocating terrorism in any way! I just hate the Yankees, like any good red-blooded American outside of New York!

5. Jun 10, 2008 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i dont hate yankees, i dislike referees, who have removed the mystery from professional sports, i.e. the home team always wins, essentially by cheating from the refs.

has anyone else noticed that pro basketball has become the new pro wrestling?

the 4 games in the so called championship series have all appeared to be fixed to me, with refs handing the game to the home team every night.

the clueless crowd cheers wildly as if the outcome were in doubt. let me make a guess: at this rate, the home team will win every game and the celtics will win the series 4-3.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  6. Jun 10, 2008 #5
    No! This stupid line of thinking has seeped into PF! Wow, so teams do better at home? This hasn't been uncommon in the entire history of sports! People are pattern seeking where there isn't any.

7. Jun 11, 2008 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let's please keep this on topic.

Did anyone notice that the "apology" (besides being completely disingenuous) was actually a more in-your-face attempt to deliberately connect Obama & his wife to terrorists? It was worse than the original piece.

Fox Spews again! Who is surprised? They did catch me off-guard the last time though, when they called for Obama to be assassinated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plrcs0J2BpQ&feature=related

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  8. Jun 11, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

9. Jun 11, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that "apology" was one of those "I regret that you thought I did something untowards." There was a thread recently in GD about the proliferation of these non-apologies.

The "joke" about Obama/Osama both being assainated was so far below contemptible...a new low.

10. Jun 12, 2008 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And Fox Spews again - this time referring to Michelle Obama as the illegitimate mother of Barack's children:
    http://time-blog.com/real_clear_politics/2008/06/baby_mama_drama_courtesy_of_fo.html
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5irE1uIeQpuJ-eWer1kwCH6jbfFjAD918R2L01

Video of Fox clip: http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=71540b48-b1bc-435c-b054-e6b9fa3a131d

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  11. Jun 13, 2008 #10
    I've seen plenty of people who are otherwise nice and intelligent stick their foot in their mouth while trying to use a 'hep' turn of phrase.

12. Jun 13, 2008 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are any of these people news producers with an audience of several million people? The reason Fox gets away with stuff like this is because they are held to the standards of a well-meaning yet drunk illiterate on an angry rant.

13. Jun 13, 2008 #12

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Someone is just being uber-sensitive...

'Baby mama' sounds somewhat like 'Obama'. I would expect more of these similar sounding double entendres as the campaign goes forward. We probably won't see anything that rhymes with 'Hussein' if I don't miss my guess, although MSNBC did flash a picture of Osama during a Chris Matthews story about Obama. It is more likely that someone was trying to be clever in the production room rather than referring to Michelle Obama as the illegitimate mother of his children. It went over my head and I suspect it wasn't picked up on by many of Fox's daytime viewers either. It's the kind of thing you have to search on the internet to find the meaning of or know something about hip hop slang to figure out. It's also the name of a movie that's out. I think it is more likely that the movie title had a lot to do with the graphic.

BTW... What is the hip hop slang term for 'wife, mother of my children'? And does it rhyme with Obama?

14. Jun 13, 2008 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But no one that was offended by Betray-us was being "uber sensitive"?

Maybe we should ask the folks over at the campaign of On CoCain?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  15. Jun 13, 2008 #14

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think that baby moma rises to the level of those two. Baby moma's pretty minor, IMO.

16. Jun 13, 2008 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps they were trying to be clever, but it certainly got my attention...my reaction was, whoa, did she just say that?

Maybe it's because I have a teen-ager, or that I work with 20- and 30-somethings, but the term is often used in my circle. It's not exactly derogatory, but I've never heard it used on anyone over the age of 25, or a married woman. It's exclusively used as reference to a very young unmarried woman who has had a child/children out of wedlock.

Certainly, I've never think to use the term on a 44 year old, married, Harvard-educated lawyer, such as Michelle Obama. Also I can't imagine Barbara Bush being called "George H. W. Bush's baby-mama." It comes off as too cute by half.

17. Jun 13, 2008 #16

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nobody SAID anything....

18. Jun 13, 2008 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So betray-us is too over the top, but baby mam is just fine? How's Cindy Novocaine?

Would dat be hip, yo?

19. Jun 13, 2008 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're right, it was written on the screen.

20. Jul 4, 2008 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fox strikes again, this time, at a pair of Times staff.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ibedc3d59fdbe80e90340ed1d5e579682

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfCsQeOnsrk&feature=related

21. Jul 4, 2008 #20
    So this is just bias, then, russ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?