Another recursive poll

What percentage of people will have chosen the percentage chosen most often?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Main Question or Discussion Point

What percentage of people will have chosen the percentage that will receive the most votes?
(no peeking!)

For instance, if you think that the option with the most votes will be 50%, and you think 30% of the people will vote for that, you should answer 30%.

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
[tex]\sqrt{-1}[/tex]

I chose 0%. Most PFers are individualists and will deliberately avoid picking the most popular choices.

turbo
Gold Member
Some PF'ers can visualize the distribution and make a reasonable guess. Half the people responding so far have settled on one choice, though the sample size (4) is still really small. :devil:

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I chose 0%. Most PFers are individualists and will deliberately avoid picking the most popular choices.
PFers also like to be right.

Evo
Mentor
72% of all PF'ers would rather skew the poll than be right. But only 13% of those members will actually vote. Personally, I will just wait and vote for whatever number hasn't been selected.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'll just wait and see if there is one option left over that doesn't get a vote and then I'll vote for that one. That way it won't get its feelings hurt because nobody picked it.

If people voted with a uniform distribution then the answer would be 1/11 = 9%. Assuming everyone notices this, then they will assume everyone else votes 10% in an attempt to win. But if everyone votes 10%, then the answer is actually 100%. Not everyone will notice this though, so it will drive the answer upwards from 10% by some unknown amount. I haven't done the math on this, but I expect it will probably be chaotic, which would mean that nobody can really predict where the equilibrium will be. Therefore, people will end up voting by their gut instinct, which will be no better than random guessing, causing the true answer to be somewhere between 10 or 20%.

turbo
Gold Member
I'll just wait and see if there is one option left over that doesn't get a vote and then I'll vote for that one. That way it won't get its feelings hurt because nobody picked it.
Did you get "Miss Congeniality" at your prom? ;-)

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
But only 13% of those members will actually vote.
For those members who have voted, please feel free to print this, and pin it on your shirt.

28bbg4y.jpg

Borek
Mentor
recursive_poll.jpg

Evo
Mentor
For those members who have voted, please feel free to print this, and pin it on your shirt.

28bbg4y.jpg
recursive_poll.jpg
Put that on a sweatshirt, and I'd wear it! I don't look good in t-shirts.

I really have no idea how this is going to turn out.

The cooperative solution would have been for everybody to bet 100%; nobody should have rationally bet 0%.

I have no idea how this is going to turn out.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
(snip)...nobody should have rationally bet 0%.
...and yet right now it has the most votes :biggrin:.

russ_watters
Mentor
[tex]\sqrt{-1}[/tex]
Agreed. I don't think those lines will intersect.

russ_watters
Mentor
72% of all PF'ers would rather skew the poll than be right. But only 13% of those members will actually vote. Personally, I will just wait and vote for whatever number hasn't been selected.
In polls like this (like that "pick a random number" poll), I always choose the answer that got the most votes.

...and yet right now it has the most votes :biggrin:.
*gasp* Delete that post (and this one)! You're giving the answer away to people who haven't voted yet! :uhh:

I really have no idea how this is going to turn out.

The cooperative solution would have been for everybody to bet 100%; nobody should have rationally bet 0%.

I have no idea how this is going to turn out.
So in other words it's going a lot like a US presidential election

About to pick an option.

Hmmm.... there are 11 options, so each one must have about 9.1% which is close enough to ten. But wait, I bet more Pfers knew that so 30% would have picked 10%. But how many PFers will know that Pfers knew to pick 10%.

Hmmmmm.....
*Shoots Myself*

Hahaha I was just thinking "0% is impossible and 10% is extremely unlikely" so then I thought "hmm I should choose 0%" but then I decided to go with 100% since if everyone chose 100% everyone would be right.

I chose 50%. "Ad captandum vulgus."

If everyone gets the right answer then the right answer should be 100%.

60% is the loneliest percent
80% can be as bad as 60%, but not really, because
60% can be the worst grade that you'll ever get
60% is the loneliest percent, whoa, worse than you
percent
60% is the loneliest
percent

Great, now I have that song stuck in my head. Now I have to sing it or I won't be able to sleep tonight. Thanks alot.

closed my eyes and picked one of them ...