Is the residue at ##2i## incorrect?

• Thread starter kq6up
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Residue
In summary, the conversation involves finding the value of a complex integral by using the residue theorem. The person encountered an error in their calculation for one of the residues, but after correcting it, they were able to obtain the correct answer.
kq6up

Homework Statement

Show that ##\int _{ 0 }^{ \infty }{ \frac{x^2dx}{(x^2+9)(x^2+4)^2} } =\frac{\pi}{200}##.

Homework Equations

##Res=\frac{1}{n!}\frac{d^n}{dz^n}[f(z)(z-z_0)^{n+1}]## where the order of the pole is ##n+1##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Integreading of a semicircle contour one finds poles at ##2i## and ##3i##. The second residue ##3i## was correct (I checked with mathematica). I used the ##Res=\frac{g(z)}{h^{\prime}(z)}## because it is first order, and I can just include the squared term on bottom into ##g(z)##. The first residue ##2i## is not as easy, and I need to use the equation above. ##Res=\frac{1}{1!}\frac{d}{dz}[\frac{z^2(z^2+4)^2}{(z^2+4)^2(z^2+9)}]##. This simplifies to ##\frac{d}{dz}[\frac{z^2}{z^2+9}]##. Which in turn simplifies to ##\frac{2z}{z^2+9}-\frac{2z^3}{(z^2+9)^2}##. Evaluating at ##2i## yields ##\frac{36i}{25}##. This is wrong. Mathematica yields: ##-\frac{13i}{200}##. Calculating this with the other term I got ##\frac{1}{2}2\pi i (\frac{3i}{50}-\frac{13i}{200})=\frac{\pi}{200}##. So the Mathematica term is correct, but my ##\frac{36i}{25}## is wrong. I am not sure what I did wrong here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,.
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
##(z-z_0)^2## is not what you used in your numerator at ##Res=\frac{1}{1!}\frac{d}{dz}[\frac{z^2(z^2+4)^2}{(z^2+4)^2(z^2+9)}]##

It should be cancelling the term that goes to zero in the denominator, no?

Chris

Is ##z_0=2i##? Or is it the negative?
I don't think you can do both at the same time.

Likes kq6up
Good point.

Chris

Exactly.
x^2 + 4 = (x+2i)(x-2i). Those are independent terms.

Thanks, I fixed it and it worked finally.

Chris

1. What is "Another Residue Problem"?

"Another Residue Problem" is a term used to describe a common issue in scientific experiments where an unexpected residue or substance is found in a sample or on equipment after the experiment is completed.

2. What causes "Another Residue Problem"?

There are several factors that can contribute to "Another Residue Problem", including contamination from other sources, incomplete cleaning of equipment, or chemical reactions occurring during the experiment.

3. How can "Another Residue Problem" be prevented?

To prevent "Another Residue Problem", it is important to thoroughly clean and sterilize all equipment before and after use, use high-quality materials and chemicals, and carefully follow experimental procedures to minimize the potential for reactions.

4. What should be done if "Another Residue Problem" occurs?

If "Another Residue Problem" occurs during an experiment, it is important to identify the source of the residue and take steps to prevent it from affecting the results. This may include repeating the experiment with different materials or adjusting experimental conditions.

5. Are there any long-term effects of "Another Residue Problem"?

In some cases, "Another Residue Problem" may have long-term effects on the accuracy and reliability of experimental results. It is important to document and address any instances of "Another Residue Problem" to ensure the validity of future experiments.