REU: Big Name School or Best Experience?

• Thread starter alex caps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu
In summary, it is important to prioritize getting into a program that offers the best research experience for you, rather than solely focusing on the reputation of the school. This is because graduate schools primarily look at the quality of your research rather than where it was conducted. Ultimately, having a few summers of research experience is what matters most.
alex caps
Is it more important to get into an REU at a "big name" school, or is it better to get into a program that offers YOU the best research esxperience?

I ask, because I have been involved in research for a couple years and have interned at a few different locations, and know what my research interests are. I recently got told that I pretty much am in if I want to do research with a certain group, and the way I would get paid is through an REU. Basically, I don't have to compete for the position. So would this be better than going to a better school for an REU, although the research might not be directly what I am interested in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Go where you think you'll be most comfortable and where you think you'll be able to do the best work. Grad schools look at your research papers and what you did...they don't care about where you did the research.

REU is REU. As long as you have a couple of summers, you'll be fine.

1. What is an REU?

An REU stands for Research Experience for Undergraduates. It is a program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects at universities and institutions across the United States.

2. Should I prioritize a big name school or the best experience for an REU?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and interests. A big name school may have more resources and prestige, but a smaller university may offer a more personalized and immersive research experience. Consider what is most important to you and what aligns with your future career aspirations.

3. How do I know if a research project at a big name school will be a good fit for me?

Do your research! Look into the specific research project and the faculty member leading it. Read about their past research, publications, and areas of expertise. Reach out to the faculty member and ask questions about the project and what your role would be as an REU student. It's important to find a project and mentor that align with your interests and goals.

4. What is the application process like for an REU at a big name school?

The application process will vary depending on the university and program. Generally, you will need to submit an application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a research proposal or an interview. Be sure to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for the specific REU program you are interested in.

5. What are the benefits of participating in an REU at a big name school?

Participating in an REU at a big name school can provide valuable research experience, exposure to cutting-edge research, and networking opportunities with renowned faculty and fellow students. It can also enhance your resume and help you stand out in graduate school or job applications. Additionally, the REU program often covers the costs of housing, meals, and a stipend, making it a financially feasible option for many students.