1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Sequence proof too trivial to figure out

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let Sn be a convergent sequence and the limit of Sn > a. Prove that there exists a number N such that when n > N implies Sn > a

2. Relevant equations

sequence definition of limit

3. The attempt at a solution

This one does not seem to have a point to me. By definition when n > N the sequence is epsilon close to a and they tell us the limit is greater than a so once n>N we are close to the lim of Sn so we must be above a. Am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Say lim Sn=b. And b>a. Just use the distance from b to a to make a particular choice of an epsilon.

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    I would let epsilon be less than distance between a and b where b = lim Sn. With that selected as my epsilon can I use the fact that Sn being convergen means it can be slower than d(a,b) therefore that N exists?

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, yes. Pick e.g. epsilon=|b-a|/2. Now write out the proof.

6. Dec 7, 2009 #5
    I think I got it now, my one question is why can't i just say epsilon less than d(a,b). That way when I say Sn is convergent b - epsilon is still bigger than a. You have d(a,b)/2. I thnk for the same reason but i might be overlooking something. Thanks for your help.

7. Dec 7, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No reason why you couldn't. If b= lim Sn> a, and [itex]\epsilon= d(a,b)= b-a[/itex] then there exist N such that if n>N then |Sn-a|< \epsilon= b-a. Then -(b-a)= a- b< b- Sn< b-a so, subtracting b from each part a- 2b< -Sn< -a. Multiplying each part by -1, 2b-a> Sn> a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook