1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Set Theory Proof(s)

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    Problem:

(i)A[tex]\subseteq[/tex]B [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] A[tex]\cup[/tex]B = B
    (ii) A[tex]\subseteq[/tex]B [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] A[tex]\cap[/tex]B = A

and

For subsets of a universal set U prove that B[tex]\subseteq[/tex]A[tex]^{c}[/tex] [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] A[tex]\cap[/tex]B = empty set. By taking complements deduce that A[tex]^{c}[/tex][tex]\subseteq[/tex]B [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] A[tex]\cup[/tex]B = U. Deduce that B = A[tex]^{c}[/tex] [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] A[tex]\cap[/tex]B = empty set and A[tex]\cup[/tex]B = U.

Can't wrap my head around the last question at all. The i and ii seem simple but I'm just not getting it to work.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2
    (i) If A is empty, claim is true trivially. If it's not, then take an element of A, [tex] x \in A [/tex].

Suppose A is a subset of B. What does this mean for x? Use the definition of the cup operation :) Then suppose [tex] A \cup B = B [/tex] and do the same.

For (ii) you might want to assume that A is not empty because the thing you're trying to prove does not generally hold if both A and B are empty (mathematicians are weird...)

For the last bit, use again some element of b, [tex] y \in B [/tex]. Show that if [tex] y \in A^c [/tex] then it can't be in A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook