How Does Wire Diameter Affect Wave Speed?

• Thread starter freeofwork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the two wires have the same tension and the speed of waves traveling along one wire is the same as the speed of waves traveling along the other wire.
freeofwork

Homework Statement

Two steel wires are stretched with the same tension. The first wire has a diameter of .00059 meters and the second wire has a diameter of .00089m. If the speed of waves traveling along the first wire is 54.0 m/s, what is the speed of the waves along the second wire?

Homework Equations

v=√Ft/μ
μ=m/L

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to get the mass or length of the string...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: You know the diameters so you know the mass per unit length of each.

LawrenceC said:
Hint: You know the diameters so you know the mass per unit length of each.

what would be the equation for that... i only know μ=m/L...

You know the formula for velocity. The tension is the same for both wires. Mu is mass per unit length which you can determine by realizing that a wire is a cylinder. You know the velocity of the wave on one of the wires. Therefore, you can solve this without knowing the respective wire lengths.

LawrenceC said:
You know the formula for velocity. The tension is the same for both wires. Mu is mass per unit length which you can determine by realizing that a wire is a cylinder. You know the velocity of the wave on one of the wires. Therefore, you can solve this without knowing the respective wire lengths.

imdont have e height though... how can you convert the diameter into something usable...

m/l is mass per unit length.

What's the formula for the volume of a cylinder?

LawrenceC said:
What's the formula for the volume of a cylinder?

pi r^2h

That's correct or you could also say (pi d^2/4)h. So what would be the mass per unit length?

radical x over 54^2?
x being the tension?..

Do you know what mass per unit length means?

linear density

In the case of a wire which is a cylinder the mass per unit length is:

m/L = rho * Volume/L = rho * pi * d^2/4 * L/L = rho * pi * d^2/4

where rho is the density in kg/meter^3.

You have the formula for the velocity of one wave at a specific m/L. You want the velocity of the wave in the other wire. The tensions are the same.

V1^2 = F/mu1 and V2^2 = F/mu2. Think about (V1/V2)^2.

Got to hurry here. Giants-Falcons game starts in 11 minutes!

how do you find the density or linear density? this is crazy

You do not the actual number; you only need the ratio of the two.

V1^2 = F/mu1 and V2^2 = F/mu2. Think about (V1/V2)^2.

idk...

freeofwork said:
idk...

D
What is idk?

i don't know.

Ok, I shall provide more help. I cannot do it for you -forum rules.

Form a ratio for v1/v2. You know one of the v's. This ratio equals square root of mass per unit length ratios. You can compute this ratio. This leaves one unknown.

what do u mean by mass per unit ratios?

(M1/Ll)/(M2/L)

M's are dependent on diameters. L's drop out.

o how would u get e mass?
so the equation who look something like this?
v1/v2=√m1m2

You almost have it. Check your algebra. The radical should be m2/m1. Relate the m's to their respective diameters...

i don't know how the mass are related to the diameters...

Volume of a cylinder...

i don't really get what to plug in there sir.

Mass = rho * volume /g

rho is density and g is acceleration of gravity. If you are forming a ratio of mass per unit length of the same materials, everything cancels except the volumes.

The volume per unit length is simply (pi * d^2)/4 which is the cross sectional area of a cylinder. So the ratios of masses per unit length is the ratio of diameters squared.

what is volume per unit length?

I do not think you are serious about this problem.

I do not think you are a good teacher. I got the answer with the formula of v1/v2=d2/d1

I attempted to get you to figure the formula out because we are not permitted to merely hand out formulas and solutions. Anyone can plug into a formula and get the answer. Figuring out how to derive the formula separates the better students from the pack.

1. What is "Another Simple Physics Problem"?

"Another Simple Physics Problem" is a hypothetical scenario that is used to demonstrate and test basic principles of physics.

2. What is the purpose of "Another Simple Physics Problem"?

The purpose of "Another Simple Physics Problem" is to help students understand and apply fundamental concepts of physics, such as forces, motion, and energy.

3. How can "Another Simple Physics Problem" be solved?

"Another Simple Physics Problem" can be solved by using equations and principles from physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy.

4. Is "Another Simple Physics Problem" applicable to real-life situations?

While "Another Simple Physics Problem" may not directly relate to real-life scenarios, the principles and problem-solving techniques used to solve it can be applied to various situations in the real world.

5. What are the benefits of solving "Another Simple Physics Problem"?

Solving "Another Simple Physics Problem" can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as deepen understanding and application of basic physics concepts.