Unanswered Questions in Physics and Math: A Challenging Quiz

• Thread starter K.J.Healey
  • Start date
In summary, these are some challenging physics and math based questions. Sort of like trivia, though a few haven't been answered. You should all give them a shot.
K.J.Healey
These are some challenging physics and math based questions, sort of like trivia though a few haven't been answered. You should all give them a shot.
http://star.tau.ac.il/QUIZ/ [Broken]

Ill put in white what I think of some of the unanswered ones.

01/04 - Isotropic Universe
I do not think the S would ever be detectable if it had a random distribution
of scatterers that had random orientation. From a probability standpoint, there is a finite probability of deflecting toward O, P(DT); a probability of deflecting away P(DA). The problem is, assuming a random distribution, you have an equal chance of deflecting away as you do toward (P(DT) = P(DA)). So the net difference would be 0. The only thing I can think that would make this difficult is the fact that though its random orientation, there is not an infinite number of scatterers, thus over time you may see a trend. So If you were told "in this region of space there may or may not be Scatteres" and you compared the distribution over time to that of the rest of your input, you could see a difference. But if you were trying to locate if there was one anywhere there would be no way to tell where it actually was. Though you may be able to tell that there is an uneven distribution of where particles are coming from. This is also assuming you don't know its size.

08/03 - Why is a pillow soft?
Seems like I'm missing something here. If by "soft" they mean something that has an exponential damping curve that, then it is due to 1. Restriction of displacement of air thru the material. 2. The feathers create enough of a "spring" to displace the material when there is no load on it, thus its equillibrium is a larger volume than when its flat. 3. Feathers, due to their geometry, are very durable when being compressed. They can stay soft for many uses. Though over time they can break and trear, thus resulting in a pillow that is no longer soft.

11/02 - Inviscid Motion
My question is a thermodynamics one. Can turbulence (changes in pressure) cause changes in Temperature in inciscid liquids? If so, then there will be loss of Total Energy of the motion of the sphere due to this turbulent generation of heat. I am assuming the sphere is in a box that has this liquid filled to its max volume, and there is no way for volume to change or to lose liquid. Though I do assume you can have temperature, such as a heatsink attached to the box.

What do you guys think of some of the unanswered ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cool thanks for the suggestion

Hey, you're not really Bill Nye, the science guy...are you ? :wink:

1. What is "Another Site's Questions"?

"Another Site's Questions" is a scientific approach used to gather data and information from other websites for research purposes. It involves analyzing and synthesizing information from various sources to answer research questions.

2. How do you determine which questions to include from other sites?

The questions chosen are based on their relevance to the research topic and their ability to provide valuable insights and data. They are carefully selected and evaluated to ensure they align with the research objectives.

3. What are the potential benefits of using "Another Site's Questions" in research?

One of the main benefits is the access to a large amount of data and information from a diverse range of sources. This can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the research topic. Additionally, it can save time and resources by not having to collect the data directly.

4. Are there any limitations to using "Another Site's Questions" in research?

One limitation is the potential for biased or inaccurate information on the websites being used. It is important to critically evaluate the sources and their credibility. Another limitation is the lack of control over the data collection process, as it is gathered from pre-existing sources.

5. How do you ensure the ethical use of information from other sites?

It is important to follow ethical guidelines and obtain permission from the website owners before using their data. Additionally, proper citation and credit should be given to the sources used. Furthermore, researchers should be mindful of any potential privacy concerns when using data from other sites.