Why Is My Solubility Ranking Incorrect?

• Thread starter higherme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the conversation was about ranking five salts in order of decreasing solubility, in terms of mass per unit volume. The salts were PbCl2, Ca5(PO4)3OH, Ag3PO4, Sr3(PO4)2, and Hg2CO3, each with their own molar masses and Ksp values. The individual attempted to rank them using a specific method and equation, but was unsure of the correct equation for Hg2CO3 and could not get the correct answer.
higherme
I don't know why i am getting this wrong

Question :
Rank the following five salts in order of decreasing solubility, in terms of mass per unit volume.
(The most soluble gets rank 1, the least soluble gets rank 5.)

PbCl2 (ksp=1.60E-5)
Ca5(PO4)3OH (ksp=6.80E-37)
Ag3PO4 (ksp=1.80E-18)
Sr3(PO4)2 (ksp=9.00E-15)
Hg2CO3 (ksp=1.00E-31)

My answer

for each of the salt above, i found their molar masses
PbCl2 (278.106 g/mol)
Ca5(PO4)3OH (502.307 g/mol)
Ag3PO4 (418.574 g/mol)
Sr3(PO4)2 452.80 g/mol)
Hg2CO3 (461.188g/mol)

also for each of the salt i found the concentration of it in mol/L using each of the give Ksp.
for example, Ksp of PbCl2 = [PB2+][Cl-] = (x)(2x)^2 -----> find x and that will be the [PbCl2]

After that i would use that concentration in mol/L and multiplied it by the molar mass of PbCl2 to get the solubility in grams/ L

for each the salts, i did the same method as above... then i ranked them from highest solubility in g/L to lowest solubility...

my answer was

1 PbCl2
2 Ca5(PO4)3OH
3 AgPO4
4 Hg2CO3
5 Sr3(PO4)2

I am still not getting the correct answer.. what am i doing wrong ? did i mis-understood the question and ranked the salts in the opposite order or ?

Physics news on Phys.org
higherme said:
I don't know why i am getting this wrong

Question :
Rank the following five salts in order of decreasing solubility, in terms of mass per unit volume.
(The most soluble gets rank 1, the least soluble gets rank 5.)

PbCl2 (ksp=1.60E-5)
Ca5(PO4)3OH (ksp=6.80E-37)
Ag3PO4 (ksp=1.80E-18)
Sr3(PO4)2 (ksp=9.00E-15)
Hg2CO3 (ksp=1.00E-31)

My answer

for each of the salt above, i found their molar masses
PbCl2 (278.106 g/mol)
Ca5(PO4)3OH (502.307 g/mol)
Ag3PO4 (418.574 g/mol)
Sr3(PO4)2 452.80 g/mol)
Hg2CO3 (461.188g/mol)

also for each of the salt i found the concentration of it in mol/L using each of the give Ksp.
for example, Ksp of PbCl2 = [PB2+][Cl-] = (x)(2x)^2 -----> find x and that will be the [PbCl2]

I see a problem here (bolded)... Look again at the definition of Ksp.

Ksp of PbCl2 = [PB2+][Cl-]^2 = (x)(2x)^2 , where x is the concentration of Pb2+, also the concentration of PbCl2 and 2x is the concentration of Cl-

is that correct?

It looks right to me. Sorry, I didn't see what you had defined 'x' as in your previous post. If your math was accurate, it should give you the correct answer.

for one of the salts (in the same question) that i had to rank is Hg2CO3
I don't know if my equation was correct since i still couldn't get rank the salts correctly

so for Hg2CO3 salt...i wasn't sure which equation is the right one

Hg2CO3(s) <-----> 2Hg+ + CO3^2- (molar ratio would be 2:1)
OR
Hg2CO3(s) <-----> Hg + HgO + CO2 (if i use this equation, what is my Ksp product going to be? ksp=[Hg][HgO][CO2]? or is it just ksp=[Hg2+][CO2-]? molar ratio 1:1??

i have no idea how to write the Ksp equation for Hg2CO3. Maybe this is the problem why I can't rank the salts correctly

What order did you rank them and what was the answer?

What is solubility?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance to dissolve in a solvent at a given temperature and pressure. It is a measure of the maximum amount of a substance that can dissolve in a particular solvent.

What factors affect solubility?

The solubility of a substance can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the chemical properties of the solute and solvent. Generally, solubility increases with higher temperatures and pressures, and is also influenced by the polarity and molecular structure of the substances involved.

Why is solubility important in science?

Solubility is important in science because it affects the behavior and interactions of substances in various environments. It can impact the purity and effectiveness of medications, the absorption of nutrients in our bodies, and the formation of solutions and mixtures in chemical reactions.

How is solubility measured?

Solubility is typically measured in terms of the maximum amount of solute that can be dissolved in a given amount of solvent, at a specific temperature and pressure. This is known as the solubility limit or saturation point. The solubility of a substance can also be expressed as a solubility curve, which shows how the solubility changes with temperature or pressure.

What are some common methods for increasing solubility?

Some common methods for increasing solubility include increasing the temperature or pressure, using a different solvent, and adding a solubility-enhancing agent such as a surfactant or a co-solvent. Other techniques, such as grinding or sonication, can also be used to break down larger particles and increase surface area, thereby improving solubility.