1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Solvable Series

1. Aug 21, 2004 #1
    Another "Solvable" Series

Hi

This is another series

[tex]S = \sum_{i = 1}^{n} \frac{i^4}{(2i - 1)(2i + 1)}[/tex]

I did it by dividing the numerator by the denominator (and doing the division once again) and finally using partial fractions. Is there a neater way? (I will post my solution to the problem in a few hours...going out right now).

Thanks a lot,

Cheers
    Vivek

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2004 #2

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've started by saying that:

[tex]\frac{i^4}{(2i-1)(2i+1)} = Ai^2 + Bi + \frac{C}{2i-1} + \frac{D}{2i + 1}[/tex]

Once solved for A, B, C and D the sum becomes:

[tex]S = \left( A\sum_{i = 1}^{n} i^2 \right) + \left( B\sum_{i = 1}^{n} i \right) + \left( \sum_{i = 1}^{n} \frac{C}{2i-1} + \frac{D}{2i + 1} \right)[/tex]

The former 2 sums are standard form, the latter one is a quite simple as it takes the form [itex]f(i) = g(i) - h(i)[/itex]

That's the simplest way I see of doing it, but someone else might come up with a better method.

4. Aug 21, 2004 #3
    Hi Zurtex

That's EXACTLY what I did :biggrin:

Thanks anyway for clarifying my method. Yeah, lets see if someone comes up with something different.

Cheers
    Vivek

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook