Another solving trigomonetry equation for x

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
It's not my intention to be rude, but I think the final polynome is \[2p^4-p^3-p^2+p=0\] with the roots \[p=0,\frac{1\pm \sqrt{5}}{4}\] and here I've applied Cardano's method...After this, you can write:\[(p+1)(2p^3-p^2-p+1)=0\]and this last polynome have the roots:\[\frac{1\pm \sqrt{5}}{4},\frac{1\pm \sqrt{5}}{4},0\]The final solution is then:\[x=\pi \cdot
songoku

Homework Statement

Solve:
sin x + cos x + tan x + cot x + sec x + cosec x + 2 = 0

Homework Equations

trigonometry

The Attempt at a Solution

The best I can get is:
sin2x cos x + cos2x sin x + sin x + cos x + 3 = 0

Then...:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
ArcanaNoir said:
This page has more trig identities than I even knew existed. Maybe you can find something here that will help. http://www.sosmath.com/trig/Trig5/trig5/trig5.html

I know those identities but I don't know how to use it to solve the problem :redface:

Take everything to a common denominator first. Then make [itex] \sin x = p [/itex] to obtain an algebraic eqn in p.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I'm not deliberately being unhelpful, I did try to solve the equation, just haven't gotten anywhere on it. :(

dextercioby said:
Take everything to a common denominator first.
I've done that. I got sin2x cos x + cos2x sin x + sin x + cos x + 3 = 0 as in my first post

Then make [itex] \sin x = p [/itex] to obtain an algebraic eqn in p.
So,
p2 √1-p2 + (1-p2) p + p + √1-p2 + 3 = 0

Can it be solved?

ArcanaNoir said:
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I'm not deliberately being unhelpful, I did try to solve the equation, just haven't gotten anywhere on it. :(
No problem. Thanks for the link :smile:

my calculator said:
[tex] x=2\cdot \pi \cdot \textrm{constn} (1)-\frac{\pi }{4} , [/tex]
[tex] x=2\cdot \pi \cdot \textrm{constn} (2)+\frac{3\pi }{4} [/tex]

I don't see this one working out nicely. >_<

Wolfram can solve the original equation directly.
He also rewrites it into a product of trig functions.

The question is how to get there without too much hassle...

The cavalry is here! :D

songoku said:
Solve:
sin x + cos x + tan x + cot x + sec x + cosec x + 2 = 0

The best I can get is:
sin2x cos x + cos2x sin x + sin x + cos x + 3 = 0

You made a mistake when you derived the second equation.
You forgot to multiply 2 with (sin x cos x).

If you fix that, you can apply for instance dextercioby's method.
If you work it out, you should be able to get a 3rd degree polynomial that you can solve.

ArcanaNoir said:
The cavalry is here! :D

Your attitude towards me seems to have shifted somewhat, since we've first met. ;)
Thanks for the vote of confidence!

The only elementary thing you can immediately deduce from that equation is that if theta is a solution, then (pi/2 - theta) is also a solution.

This follows immediately from the fact that replacing x with (pi/2 - x) in the equation changes nothing.

I can't see a shortcut to a rigorous full solution. However, simple inspection immediately yields -pi/4 as a solution, since one needs to find a value where the numerical values of the sine and cosine have to be equal in magnitude and of opposite sign so they cancel out (and the same would apply to the sec and cosec terms), and where the tangent and cotangent are both equal to -1, so they would add to -2 and cancel out the +2 constant term.

Having found -pi/4 as a solution, we known that pi/2 - (-pi/4) = 3pi/4 is also a solution.

One can immediately add the requisite 2k*pi to each of those solutions for the general solution set. Problem is, one can never be sure one is not missing some obscure solution(s) with this sort of slipshod "easy" method.:frown:

I like Serena said:
You made a mistake when you derived the second equation.
You forgot to multiply 2 with (sin x cos x).

If you fix that, you can apply for instance dextercioby's method.
If you work it out, you should be able to get a 3rd degree polynomial that you can solve.

Ops my bad. The equation should be:
sin2x cos x + cos2x sin x + 1+ sin x + cos x + 2 sin x cos x = 0

let sin x = p
p2√1-p2 + p - p3 + 1 + p + √1-p2 + 2 p √1-p2 = 0

After some works, the equation becomes:
(p + 1) [(√1-p2)(p+1)-p2+p+1)] = 0

To solve [(√1-p2)(p+1)-p2+p+1)] = 0 :
(√1-p2)(p+1) = p2-p-1

squaring both sides and doing some works, I got:
2p4 - p3 - p2 + p = 0
p (2p3 - p2 - p + 1) = 0
p = 0 or 2p3 - p2 - p + 1 = 0

But when I subs p = 0 to (p + 1) [(√1-p2)(p+1)-p2+p+1)] = 0, it is not correct. So it means that p = 0 is extra root?

Then, how to solve 2p3 - p2 - p + 1 = 0 ??

Thanks

songoku said:
(√1-p2)(p+1) = p2-p-1

Yep! I'm with you so far.

songoku said:
squaring both sides and doing some works, I got:
2p4 - p3 - p2 + p = 0

I get something else, so I think you made a mistake somewhere...

I like Serena said:
I get something else, so I think you made a mistake somewhere...

Yeah...:tongue:

Maybe it should be like this:
2p4 - p2 = 0

Am I correct?

Yes! That looks much simpler! :)

I like Serena said:
Yes! That looks much simpler! :)

Then p = 0 is extra root? Because it is not correct when I subs. it into (√1-p2)(p+1) = p2-p-1

Yes, p=0 is an extra root that was introduced when you squared both sides of the equation.
If you substitute it, you'll find 1=-1.
When you square both sides, you get 1=1, which is the reason you found it as a solution.

As you can see, you have to verify each solution against the original equation to see if it really is a solution.

I like Serena said:
Yes, p=0 is an extra root that was introduced when you squared both sides of the equation.
If you substitute it, you'll find 1=-1.
When you square both sides, you get 1=1, which is the reason you found it as a solution.

As you can see, you have to verify each solution against the original equation to see if it really is a solution.

Ok. Thanks a lot for your help :)

Thanks!
But then, that's what the cavalry is for. ;)

1. How do I solve a trigonometry equation for x?

To solve a trigonometry equation for x, you will need to use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation. First, simplify the equation using identities such as the Pythagorean identity or double angle formulas. Then, isolate the variable x by using inverse trigonometric functions, such as arccosine or arcsine. Finally, check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

2. What is the difference between solving a trigonometry equation for x and solving a regular algebraic equation for x?

The main difference is that trigonometry equations involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, while regular algebraic equations only involve basic mathematical operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Additionally, trigonometry equations often have multiple solutions due to the periodic nature of trigonometric functions, while algebraic equations usually have a single solution.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a trigonometry equation for x?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a trigonometry equation for x. Most scientific calculators have built-in trigonometric functions and inverse trigonometric functions, making it easier to solve these types of equations. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving the equation manually before relying on a calculator.

4. What should I do if the trigonometry equation has multiple solutions?

If the trigonometry equation has multiple solutions, you will need to find all possible values of x that satisfy the equation. This can be done by using the unit circle or graphing the equation. Additionally, you may also need to specify a range of values for x, depending on the context of the problem.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a trigonometry equation for x?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a trigonometry equation for x include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, not using the correct trigonometric identity, and making mathematical errors while simplifying the equation. It is important to double-check your work and carefully follow the steps to ensure an accurate solution.