How old is Jacob when Maggie returns from her trip to Barnard's Star?

• Thread starter renegade05
  • Start date
In summary, Maggie, eleven years old, sneaks onto a spaceship leaving for Barnard's Star, 5.96 light years away from the solar system. She is hoping that by the time the ship gets back, she will be the baby of the family. Her plan works and when she returns, she is (biologically) a year younger than Jacob. Jacob is one year old when Maggie gets back from her trip.
renegade05
another special R question... need help

Homework Statement

Maggie, eleven years old, is very jealous of her younger brother Jacob. Jacob, at
ten years younger, is just a baby, and Maggie feels that he gets all the attention at home.
She sneaks onto a spaceship leaving for Barnard’s Star, 5.96 light years away from the solar system. She is hoping that by the time the ship gets back, she will be the baby of the family. Her plan works and when she returns, she is (biologically) a year younger than Jacob. How old is Jacob when Maggie gets back from her trip? Assume that the trip to Barnard’s Star and back happened at a constant speed and that the ship spent very little time at Barnard’s Star itself.

Homework Equations

v=d/t
Tsqrt(1-(v/c)^2)=T'

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok my attempt:
So the problem does not give a velocity however I think I still need to use v=d/t. d=(5.96*2). Thus v=11.92/t
Now I want maggies age(M) when she gets back to be jacobs age(J) - 1.
So:
before:
M = 11
J = 1
After:
M = J -1
J = ?

I am not sure what to do next now! or if this is even right ?

Need some guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi renegade05! :wink:

call the speed v

then find the formula for the age increase of both

show us what you get :smile:

I'm not sure where to go from here, I have a formula for the age increase of Maggie and Jason but I'm stuck on what to do next. I tried solving for v but that proved impossible. Anyway this is what have, if anyone can suggest a next step I would greatly appreciate it!

d=5.96ly
t_J=(2*5.96ly)/v=11.92/v (this is the time increase from Jasons FoR)
t_M=(1/γ)(11.92/v) (this is the time increase from Maggies perspective)

J=1+11.92/v
M=11+(1/γ)(11.92/v)

M=J-1
(substituting)
11+(1/γ)(11.92/v)=11.92/v

Am I on the right track? I can't seem to solve this last equation and neither can WolframAlpha.

Last edited:
Looks good. You might find it easier to solve for ##\beta=v/c##. You have
$$11\text{ yr} + \frac{1}\gamma \frac{11.92\text{ ly}}v = \frac{11.92\text{ ly}}v$$ which, in terms of ##\beta##, becomes
$$11\text{ yr} + \frac{1}\gamma \frac{11.92\text{ ly}/c}\beta = \frac{11.92\text{ ly}/c}\beta$$ where ##\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}##. To get rid of the square root, isolate ##1/\gamma## on one side of the equation and then square both sides.

It's such a messy equation, this is what Wolfram says it should be but I keep getting different answers, too many algebra mistakes I guess!

This is what I get:

v=(22*11.92*c^2)/(11.92^2+121c^2)

but it evaluates to a v ≈ 2.17

Last edited:
You're messing up the units.

1. How do I create a new variable in R?

To create a new variable in R, use the assignment operator '<-' and specify the variable name on the left side of the operator and the desired value or expression on the right side. For example, my_var <- 5 + 10 will create a variable called my_var with a value of 15.

2. How do I import data into R?

To import data into R, you can use the read.csv() function for comma-separated values (CSV) files or the read.table() function for other types of delimited files. You can also use the readxl package to import Excel files. Additionally, you can use the readLines() function to import text files line by line.

3. How do I perform statistical analyses in R?

R has a wide range of built-in functions and packages for conducting statistical analyses. Some commonly used packages include stats for basic statistical functions, ggplot2 for data visualization, and lm for linear regression. You can also utilize the help() function to access documentation and examples for specific functions.

4. How do I save my R code and results?

To save your R code, you can use the save() function or the write() function. The save() function allows you to save all objects in your current workspace to a specified file, while the write() function allows you to save a specific object to a file. To save your results, you can use the write.table() function to export your data as a CSV or other delimited file.

5. How do I handle missing values in my data?

R has several functions and packages for handling missing data, such as na.omit() to remove rows with missing values, na.fail() to produce an error if any missing values are present, and na.rm = TRUE to ignore missing values in a specific function. Additionally, the tidyr package has functions for imputing missing values using various methods.