Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Star wars question here

1. Jul 10, 2016 #1
    I am working on another star wars project but i need to know how a repulsorlift works ... any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pretty much the same way most sci-fic "technology" works ... magic.

4. Jul 10, 2016 #3
    ( I wish) but sadly magic won't work here. I am attempting to creat a ( working) model of a Podracer. :eynman:

5. Jul 10, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

There are no actual physics you can use, that we know of today so magic is about all you are left with. I seriously doubt we ever will know of any that would do that stuff --- it's anti-gravity pure and simple.

Just do some hand waving and say that anti gravity has been discovered. It's the story that's important. You can't do "hard" sci-fic with anti-gravity since it does not appear to be even an extrapolation from known technology.

6. Jul 10, 2016 #5
    Make it up, works for a lot of authors. Use "elastic magnetic field repulsion", no charge.

7. Jul 11, 2016 #6

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Star Wars is very much Soft-SF, but even in Hard-SF a lot of the time you just have to make up how things work. But that doesn't matter, it's not the important bit by far. the important thing is that when you make something up figure out its capabilities and its limits. Even if you don't explicitly write it into your story or setting for good worldbuilding you need to have consistency.

8. Jul 11, 2016 #7
    I forget where I read it, but one author said "It's not making stuff up, it's predicting future technology." I guess that worked for him, and the readers don't seem to mind much.

9. Jul 30, 2016 #8
    An Idea I use is the interfacing and interaction of multiple universes for advanced technology. The hyper drive magically (and you are stuck with magically) creates or opens an area of another universe within its components. That universe has different physical laws from this one. Antigravity repulsion and FTL are the product of that universe and this universe interacting.

10. Jul 30, 2016 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sorry. As explained, it's fictional, as is the technology behind it.

11. Jul 30, 2016 #10
    I loved that Sibulba's podracer sounded like a Buzz Bomb. (Vergeltungswaffe 1, or V-1 Vengence Weapon from WWII.)

12. Jul 31, 2016 #11
    Did you notice they used the same sound effect for Wonder Woman's powers in Batman V Superman?

13. Jul 31, 2016 #12
    It's on cable already?

14. Jul 31, 2016 #13
    Oh no, I do the DVD.

15. Aug 7, 2016 #14
    It works by bouncing microscopic transparent basketballs between the floating object and the ground.

16. Aug 9, 2016 #15

ComplexVar89

Gold Member

And when you're considering technology, you need to have some idea how engineers think, and not go with stuff, just because it's cool.

17. Aug 9, 2016 #16
    Ahem. We are talking Star Trek here.

18. Aug 9, 2016 #17
    No we aren't.

19. Aug 9, 2016 #18
    From this distance...

20. Aug 9, 2016 #19
    Star Wars, Star Trek. It's like confusing quantum physics with Einstein.

21. Aug 9, 2016 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

More like saying that apples and oranges are the same thing because they are both fruits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted