1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another STATICS question

1. Nov 17, 2007 #1
    A uniform cylinder of radius a and weight W rests in equilibrium between 2 rough planes which are both inclined to an angle pi/6 to the horizontal. The axis of the cylinder is parallel to the line joining the two planes and the coefficient of friction at both points of contact is 1/2.

Find the least couple which must be applied to the cylinder to make it rotate.

Please help me! Who knows how this can be done?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2007 #2
    Construct a diagram of the forces before the cylinder rotates. Resolve forces and find the normal reactions.

The draw the diagram again for the block in rotation...you know the weight and normal forces, so you can find out the Friction forces and hence the couple...

Diagrams are the answer.
  4. Nov 17, 2007 #3
    The problem is I don't know how to draw the diagram.. For example, which axis of the cylinder is it talking about? (Cylinders have more than one axis, if I'm correct)
    I'm really confused.
  5. Nov 17, 2007 #4
    Cilinders have only one important axis. The other two are of no importance.
  6. Nov 17, 2007 #5
    Which is..?
  7. Nov 17, 2007 #6
    The one that determines the rotational vector of a 'common' rotating cilinder wheel.

You know, the one that goes throught he center of the cilinder?
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  8. Nov 18, 2007 #7
    always go for the simplet solution - imagine a vee shape. in the vee is a circle. this is an end on view
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?