Calculating Probability and Profit for Drilling Wells: A Binomial Approach

• Thread starter adeel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stats
In summary, Alexander Da Costa & Priyanka Kapadia Petroleum plans to drill 5 exploratory wells with the help of consulting geologists Jenny Wong & Danny Tieu. The probability of a discovery in the first 3 wells is 0.20, and if there is a discovery, the probability for the next 2 wells increases to 0.40. Otherwise, the probability for the next 2 wells is 0.15. Each well costs $500,000 to dig and a successful well results in a profit of $3,000,000 (before subtracting the cost of digging). Using binomial probabilities and a tree diagram, the probability distribution of the number of discoveries can be determined. The expected net profit
adeel
QUESTION3:
Alexander Da Costa & Priyanka Kapadia Petroleum, plans to drill 5 exploratory wells. Jenny Wong & Danny Tieu Consulting geologists give the probability that a well results in a discovery as 0.20 for the first 3 wells. If there is a discovery in the first 3 wells the geologist's probability is 0.40 for the next 2 wells. Otherwise the geologists give a probability of 0.15 for the next 2 wells. Digging each well cost $500,000, and each successful well will result in a profit of $3,000,000 (before subtracting cost of digging the well),

a. Use binomial probabilities and a tree diagram to find the probability distribution of the number of discoveries.
b. What will be the expected net profit and the standard deviation?
c. Does the distribution in part a) agree with the binomial distribution for n=5, and p=0.20? Why? Why not?

--------------------------------
I have a few issues. When they say, If there is a discovery in the first 3 wells, does that mean 1 discovery in any of the first 3 wells, or discovery in all 3 of the first 3 wells.

Also, would the profit function be 3000000x - 2500000?

Help is greatly appreciatd

Physics news on Phys.org
cant anyone help me?

wont anyone help me?

Probably it means at least 1 discovery out of all 3 wells. Yes, that would be the profit function.

i tried it that way and somewhere i am making a mistake...my expected standard deviation is MUCH MUCH higher than my expected net profit. But i guess it might be alright since there is a chance of negative profits

What is the purpose of "Another stats problem"?

The purpose of "Another stats problem" is to test your understanding and application of statistical concepts and methods. It may also be used to analyze and interpret data in a particular research or real-life scenario.

What types of statistical methods are commonly used in "Another stats problem"?

Commonly used statistical methods in "Another stats problem" may include descriptive statistics, hypothesis testing, regression analysis, ANOVA, and chi-square analysis. The specific methods used will depend on the nature of the problem and the type of data being analyzed.

What skills are required to solve "Another stats problem" effectively?

To effectively solve "Another stats problem", one would need a solid understanding of statistical concepts, the ability to analyze and interpret data, and proficiency in using statistical software such as SPSS or R. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are also important in approaching and solving the problem.

How can one improve their performance in solving "Another stats problem"?

To improve performance in solving "Another stats problem", it is important to regularly practice and review statistical concepts and methods. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial. It is also important to carefully read and understand the problem, and to double-check calculations and interpretations.

Can "Another stats problem" be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, "Another stats problem" is often designed to mimic real-world scenarios and can be applied to various fields such as business, healthcare, social sciences, and more. The skills and knowledge gained from solving these problems can be useful in making data-driven decisions and solving real-world problems.

Back