1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another stats q

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a quantitative variable, you want to test H0; [tex]\mu[/tex]=0, against Ha, mu not equal 0. The 10 observations are 3,7,3,3,0,8,1,12,5,8

a. I get this part
    b. The P-value is 0.002. Interpret, and make a decision using a significance level of 0.05. Interpret.
    c. If you had used Ha: mu>0, what would the P-value be? Intrepret.
    d. If you had instead used Ha: mu<0, what wold the P-value be? Intrepret it.

2. Relevant equations
    b.
    Does intrepret mean draw it, or say it? I have the table, but the value don't go as low as 0.002. What do I do?

c&d. I'll probably understand this if I can understant part b.
    Help me please. xoxoxoxox

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2
    You can draw a normal curve, and indicate what p = 0.002 for a two-sided test means on there, but you should also explain it in words. What does a probability of 0.002 mean; in other words, what has a 0.002 chance of occurring? When you perform your test, what are you assuming is true?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?