Another Thermo Question

• Thread starter physicsCU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermo
In summary, the water is heated to vaporization and pressure is held constant. I need to determine the final temperature and the enthalpy change. I know what the answers need to be, but on the temperature, I couldn't get anywhere close. On the enthalpy change part, I figured using m*h_fg but that isn't right (I think). Any ideas? Thanks a lot!
physicsCU
OK, I have a piston-cylinder with water.

V = 50L = 0.05 m^3
T = 25 C
P = 300 kPa
m = 49.85 kg
specific volume @ 25 C = 0.001003 m^3/kg

The water is heated to vaporization with pressure held constant. I need to determine the final temperature and the enthalpy change.

I know what the answers need to be (133.55 C and 103,627 kJ). On the temperature, I tried doing T = (PV/mR), using R = 0.4615 (kPa*m^3)/(kg*K), but i didn't get anywhere close.

On the enthalpy change part, I figured using m*h_fg, but that isn't right (I think).

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsCU said:
OK, I have a piston-cylinder with water.

V = 50L = 0.05 m^3
T = 25 C
P = 300 kPa
m = 49.85 kg
specific volume @ 25 C = 0.001003 m^3/kg

The water is heated to vaporization with pressure held constant. I need to determine the final temperature and the enthalpy change.

I know what the answers need to be (133.55 C and 103,627 kJ). On the temperature, I tried doing T = (PV/mR), using R = 0.4615 (kPa*m^3)/(kg*K), but i didn't get anywhere close.

On the enthalpy change part, I figured using m*h_fg, but that isn't right (I think).

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

1) Look at the water tables to see what enthalpy has the initial state,

2)The thermodynamic trajectory is an isobaric one until you have reached a 100% of water vapor inside cylinder. Look at a Mollier diagram or go to tables to localize the enthalpy of water vapor at 300Kpa. Then you have the enthalpy difference.

3) do not use the equation of state as you've done. It shows you didn't understand the problem at all. Imagine it physically: you are heating water to vaporize it with a free piston, do you really think volume is going to remain constant?

OK, I got the enthalpy difference, no problems.

I didn't realize my book had a pressure table, I found it there. Duh.

I neglected to mention that I looked at the v_fg values as well, and that didn't work. Sorry about that.

THANKS so much for your help. No wonder you are an engineer guru!

physicsCU said:
THANKS so much for your help. No wonder you are an engineer guru!

You're welcome!. Doubtless, there are another people who just wonder why the hell I am the PF eng. gurú.. :rofl: To those...maybe they're right. :biggrin:

1. What is a Thermo Question?

A Thermo Question is a question that relates to the field of thermodynamics, which is the study of heat, energy, and their transformations.

2. How is Another Thermo Question different from other Thermo Questions?

Another Thermo Question refers specifically to a question that has already been asked and answered in the context of thermodynamics, while other Thermo Questions may be more general or specific in nature.

3. What are some common topics covered in Another Thermo Question?

Some common topics covered in Another Thermo Question may include thermodynamic laws, heat transfer, thermodynamic cycles, and thermodynamic processes.

4. Who may be interested in reading Another Thermo Question?

Scientists, engineers, and students studying thermodynamics or related fields may be interested in reading Another Thermo Question for further understanding and application of thermodynamic principles.

5. Can Another Thermo Question be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, Another Thermo Question and the concepts discussed within it can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in the design of energy-efficient systems or in understanding the behavior of materials at different temperatures.