1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Thermodynamic Problem

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) By how much does the temperature of an ideal monatomic gas change in an adiabatic process in which 2.0 kJ of work are done on each mole of gas?
    b) By how much does the temperature of an ideal diatomic gas (with molecular rotation but no vibration) change in an adiabatic process in which 2.0 kJ of work are done on each mole of gas?

2. Relevant equations
    Q = 0
    dU = -W
    W = (p_1 V_1 - p_2 V_2) / (y - 1)
    pV^y = const.
    TV^(y-1) = const.

3. The attempt at a solution
    None, I have no idea how to approach this problem. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2
    Why is pV^y = const and TV^(y-1) = const relevant? Is this a polytropic process?

4. Nov 8, 2008 #3
    Also. What class is this for? Is it a physics course or a thermodynamics course? There are different approaches.

5. Nov 8, 2008 #4
    This is for an introductory physics course, and the book defines four different types of processes: Isothermal, Isometric, Isobaric, and Adiabatic (no heat transfer). I think I am supposed to use one of those, and it would be adiabatic since the problem mentions it.

6. Nov 19, 2008 #5
    I have managed to solve this problem. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?