1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another thermodynamics

1. Sep 10, 2005 #1
    another thermodynamics problem

For this one its a combination of the wording and the whole resistance that i dont get.

In the interval between the freezing point of water and 700 degrees C, a platinum resistance thermometer is used for interpolating the temperatures on the international scale the Celsius temperature Tc is given by a formula for resistance R with temperature
    R = R0(1 + ATc +BTc^2) where A and B are constants determined by measurements at the ice point, the steam point of water, and the melting point of zinc (419.414 degrees C). (a) If R equals 10.000 ohms at the ice point, 13.946 ohms at the steam point, and 24.174 at the melting point of zinc, find R0, A, and B; (b) When immersed in a solution the length is 25.4 cm. What is the temperature of the solution.

now wtf? :yuck:
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Resistance is an electrical property of a device.
    For metals, resistance increases (almost linearly)
    Almost proportional to Temperature in Kelvin.
    So expect B to be small.

What is Tc of the ice point? What, then, is Ro?
    Do you know what temperature the "steam point" is?
  4. Sep 11, 2005 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you need more information in order to answer b).

5. Sep 11, 2005 #4
    You see what I dont get is where all the numbers go, and what all the letters in the equation represent. I'm guessing for part A i need to setup 3 equations with 3 variables and R equalling 10.000, 13.946, and 24.174 ohms? and maybe with Tc equalling 0, 100, and 419.414 degrees C respectively?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?