Trigonometric Identity Puzzle: Solving (1-cosx)/(1+cosx) = (cscx-cotx)^2

• Thread starter DecayProduct
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
Then use the identity sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1 to simplify the expression.In summary, to simplify the expression (1-cosx)/(1+cosx) = (cscx-cotx)^2, you can multiply the top and bottom of the left side by (1-cosx) and use the identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 to simplify the expression to ((1-cosx)/(sinx))^2.
DecayProduct

Homework Statement

(1-cosx)/(1+cosx) = (cscx-cotx)^2

Homework Equations

cscx = 1/sinx, cotx = cosx/sinx, sin^2x + cos^2x = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried many different attempts, but I can't seem to make one side like the other. I took the (cscx-cotx)^2 and expanded it to csc^2x - 2cotxcscx+cot^2x = (1-2cosx+cos^2x)/sin^2x. Alternatively, (1-2cosx+cos^2x)/1-cos^2x

I've done every rearrangement I can think of, but I can't figure how to pull one side out of the other. Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute cscx = 1/sinx, cotx = cosx/sinx in the right side and get only sin and cos equation on the right side.I see you already done that:
(1-2cosx+cos^2x)/1-cos^2x = ((1-cosx)/(sinx))^2 is enoughLeft side:
(1-cos.x)/(1+cosx)
.. looks like multiplying both num and den by 1-cosx would help

Try multiplying top and bottom of the LHS by (1-cos x).

1. What is "Another trid identity problem"?

"Another trid identity problem" refers to a mathematical concept that involves determining the identity of a trid, which is a three-dimensional shape with six faces, eight vertices, and twelve edges. This problem involves finding out the specific type or name of a trid based on its properties.

2. Can you give an example of "Another trid identity problem"?

One example of "Another trid identity problem" is trying to identify a trid that has six square faces and eight edges of equal length. This could be a cube, a regular octahedron, or a truncated cube, among other possibilities.

3. What makes "Another trid identity problem" challenging?

"Another trid identity problem" can be challenging because there are many different types of trids, each with unique properties. It requires careful observation and logical thinking to correctly identify a trid based on its characteristics.

4. How is "Another trid identity problem" relevant in science?

"Another trid identity problem" is relevant in fields such as geometry, mathematics, and engineering. It helps scientists and mathematicians understand the properties and relationships between different three-dimensional shapes.

5. What are some strategies for solving "Another trid identity problem"?

Some strategies for solving "Another trid identity problem" include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, looking for patterns and similarities between different trids, and using trial and error. Computer simulations and 3D models can also be helpful in visualizing and solving these types of problems.