Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Another Trig Identity

1. Oct 9, 2005 #1
    [tex]1 - \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta} = \sin \theta[/tex]

I can only get to [tex] \frac{2\sin^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta}[/tex] and I don't know if that's correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2005 #2

TD

Homework Helper

Perhaps you should check the problem again because it doesn't seem correct to me. Try [itex]\theta = 3\pi /2[/itex], the LHS will be 1 while the RHS is -1.

4. Oct 9, 2005 #3

Fermat

Homework Helper

It's not an identity!

Let θ = -π/2

then lhs = 1 - cos²(-π/2)/(1 + sin²(-π/2))
    lhs = 1 - 0/2
    lhs = 1
    =====

but rhs = sin(-π/2) = -sin(π/2) = -1
    rhs = - 1
    =======

Since lhs ≠ rhs, it can't be an identity.

5. Oct 9, 2005 #4
    OMG, I've spent so much time trying to figure it out... I never thought of checking to make sure it was indeed an identity. I guess my teacher made a mistake. Thanks guys.

(Don't worry, I'll be back with another too soon :tongue2:)

6. Oct 9, 2005 #5

Fermat

Homework Helper

I did a quick check to see if it was an identity. After all , you were having trouble !
    It checked out ok for θ = 0 and θ = pi/2, so I did some work on it.
    It was only later on that I plugged the expressions into graphmatica and found out they were actually two different functions !!

7. Oct 10, 2005 #6
    [tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} + \frac{\cos \theta}{1 - \sin \theta} = 2 \sec \theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{1 + \sin \theta} = (\sec \theta - \tan \theta)^2[/tex]

I can't seem to get anywhere with these...

8. Oct 10, 2005 #7

Fermat

Homework Helper

For the 1st one, cross-multiply the two terms in the lhs and simplify.

9. Oct 10, 2005 #8

Fermat

Homework Helper

For the 2nd one, multiply the lhs by (1 - sinθ) and simplify.

10. Oct 10, 2005 #9
    I can only get to [itex]2 \sin \theta + 2 \sin^2 \theta[/itex] for the first after cross multiplying.

For the second, how can I just multiply by [itex](1 - \sin \theta)[/itex]? I thought you can only multiply by 1?

11. Oct 10, 2005 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} + \frac{\cos \theta}{1 - \sin \theta}=\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta}+\frac{1+\sin\theta}{1+\sin\theta}\frac{\cos\theta}{1-\sin\theta}=\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} +\frac{1+\sin\theta}{\cos\theta}=\frac{2}{\cos\theta}=2sec\theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{1 + \sin \theta} =\frac{1-\sin\theta}{1-\sin\theta}\frac{1-\sin\theta}{1+\sin\theta}=\frac{(1-\sin\theta)^{2}}{\cos^{2}\theta}=(sec\theta-tan\theta)^{2}[/tex]

12. Oct 10, 2005 #11
    I see, thanks.

13. Oct 10, 2005 #12

Fermat

Homework Helper

Ah, sorry, that should have been, multiply above and below by (1 - sinθ)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook