1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Trig Identity

1. Oct 9, 2005 #1
    [tex]1 - \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta} = \sin \theta[/tex]

I can only get to [tex] \frac{2\sin^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta}[/tex] and I don't know if that's correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2005 #2

TD

Homework Helper

Perhaps you should check the problem again because it doesn't seem correct to me. Try [itex]\theta = 3\pi /2[/itex], the LHS will be 1 while the RHS is -1.

4. Oct 9, 2005 #3

Fermat

Homework Helper

It's not an identity!

Let θ = -π/2

then lhs = 1 - cos²(-π/2)/(1 + sin²(-π/2))
    lhs = 1 - 0/2
    lhs = 1
    =====

but rhs = sin(-π/2) = -sin(π/2) = -1
    rhs = - 1
    =======

Since lhs ≠ rhs, it can't be an identity.

5. Oct 9, 2005 #4
    OMG, I've spent so much time trying to figure it out... I never thought of checking to make sure it was indeed an identity. I guess my teacher made a mistake. Thanks guys.

(Don't worry, I'll be back with another too soon :tongue2:)

6. Oct 9, 2005 #5

Fermat

Homework Helper

I did a quick check to see if it was an identity. After all , you were having trouble !
    It checked out ok for θ = 0 and θ = pi/2, so I did some work on it.
    It was only later on that I plugged the expressions into graphmatica and found out they were actually two different functions !!

7. Oct 10, 2005 #6
    [tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} + \frac{\cos \theta}{1 - \sin \theta} = 2 \sec \theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{1 + \sin \theta} = (\sec \theta - \tan \theta)^2[/tex]

I can't seem to get anywhere with these...

8. Oct 10, 2005 #7

Fermat

Homework Helper

For the 1st one, cross-multiply the two terms in the lhs and simplify.

9. Oct 10, 2005 #8

Fermat

Homework Helper

For the 2nd one, multiply the lhs by (1 - sinθ) and simplify.

10. Oct 10, 2005 #9
    I can only get to [itex]2 \sin \theta + 2 \sin^2 \theta[/itex] for the first after cross multiplying.

For the second, how can I just multiply by [itex](1 - \sin \theta)[/itex]? I thought you can only multiply by 1?

11. Oct 10, 2005 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} + \frac{\cos \theta}{1 - \sin \theta}=\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta}+\frac{1+\sin\theta}{1+\sin\theta}\frac{\cos\theta}{1-\sin\theta}=\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} +\frac{1+\sin\theta}{\cos\theta}=\frac{2}{\cos\theta}=2sec\theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{1 + \sin \theta} =\frac{1-\sin\theta}{1-\sin\theta}\frac{1-\sin\theta}{1+\sin\theta}=\frac{(1-\sin\theta)^{2}}{\cos^{2}\theta}=(sec\theta-tan\theta)^{2}[/tex]

12. Oct 10, 2005 #11
    I see, thanks.

13. Oct 10, 2005 #12

Fermat

Homework Helper

Ah, sorry, that should have been, multiply above and below by (1 - sinθ)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?