Another trigonometry problem

• Thread starter Hypochondriac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trigonometry
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of verifying and finding solutions for trigonometric equations. In part b) i, the speaker was asked to prove that (1-cos2x)/sin2x is equivalent to tanx. In part b) ii, they were asked to verify that 180 is a solution for sin2x = 2 - 2cos2x. The speaker used the first method of dividing by a trigonometric function, but later realized that this only works if the function does not result in a zero. They then used the second method to verify x=180 as a solution. In part b) iii, the speaker was asked to find the other two solutions, one of which was 26
Hypochondriac
in part b) i of a question, i was asked to prove that (1-cos2x)/sin2x is equivilent to tanx and so i did.

then in part b) ii i was asked to varify that 180 is a solution of x for:
sin2x = 2 - 2cos2x

i took the 2 out; sin2x = 2(1 - cos2x) and saw similarities to part i,
so i divided by 2sin2x to get
(1-cos2x)/sin2x = 1/2
which using part i i deduced that tanx = 1/2

but 180 isn't the solution of this. (26.6 is)

where did I go wrong, was it because I divided through by a the 2sin2x when i shouldn't have?
in my https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=165036" it was apparently ok to divide by a trig funtion, if this is the problem here why does it apply to this and not my other question

NB part a of the question seems irrelevant.
part b) iii however asks me to find the other 2 solutions, of which 26.6 is one of the answers
so how do i get to 180 and the other solution for part b) iii

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's ok to divide by a trig function unless in the end that trig function turns out to be zero. If you put 180 in sin(2x) you get zero. So the original equation has zeros that the divided equation does not. Eg. x*(x-1)=0 has the solutions 0,1. (x-1)=0 has only 1.

ok so as sin2x = 0 for x=180, when you divide it goes.

so if i can't do that then how do i varify that x=180

i've already found out how to get the other solution, i forgot to mention that the interval is (0, 360)

When you divide by something make a note to yourself to check in the end that the thing you divided by is not zero, and if it is zero, then check that it is not an extra root. So you need to solve both tan(x)=1/2 and sin(2x)=0 and then check if all such values are really roots. Ie substitute them into sin2x = 2 - 2cos2x.

To verify x=180 is a solution
LHS is sin(360)=0
RHS is 2 -2cos(360)=2-2=0
LHS=RHS so x=180 is a solution

to obtain x=180 as a solution

(1-cos2x)=(tanx)(sin2x)

sin2x=2(1-cos2x)
sin2x=2(tanx)(sin2x)
sin2x-2tan(x)(sin2x)=0
sin2x(1-2tanx)=0

sin2x=0 or 1-2tanx=0

ahh its all clear now, would either one of the above proofs for x=180 be valid as an answer or will the latter have to be shown?

Depends on the wording of the question

verify that x=180 is a solution of ... use the first method

show that x=180 is a solution of... use the second method.

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their relationships, particularly their sides and angles.

2. Why is trigonometry important?

Trigonometry is used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, astronomy, and navigation. It helps in solving real-world problems involving angles and distances, making it an essential tool in many industries.

3. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent, which are defined as ratios of the sides of a right triangle. Other important trigonometric functions include cosecant, secant, and cotangent.

4. How do you solve a trigonometry problem?

To solve a trigonometry problem, you need to identify the given information and the unknown quantity. Then, use the relevant trigonometric formula or function to find the solution. It is important to draw a clear diagram and label all the known and unknown quantities.

5. What are the common applications of trigonometry?

Trigonometry is used in a variety of applications, such as calculating distances and heights, determining the trajectory of objects, analyzing sound and light waves, and designing structures and machines.