Triple Integral Evaluation for Bounded Region with Polynomial Boundaries

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating the triple integral of 3xy over a bounded region, with the bounds of 0 ≤ x ≤ 1, x^2 ≤ y ≤ √x, and 0 ≤ z ≤ 6x + y. The result of the integral is calculated to be 9/8, using a software package or a calculator. The conversation also mentions that drawing out the region can help in determining the limits.
iamalexalright

Homework Statement

Evaluate triple integral of 3xy over the bounded region:

[tex]y = x^{2}[/tex]
[tex]x = y^{2}[/tex]
[tex]z = 6x + y[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Bounds on integral would be:
[tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex]
[tex]x^{2} \leq y \leq \sqrt{x}[/tex]
[tex]0 \leq z \leq 6x + y[/tex]

Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If they also gave you the bound z>=0 that looks fine. Otherwise the region isn't bounded.

Yep, z = 0 included

I get 9/8. Btw, what do you use to calculate them ?

iamalexalright said:
Yep, z = 0 included

I get 9/8. Btw, what do you use to calculate them ?

I use a software package called Maxima to actually do the integrals. I use my head to get the limits. What do you use? And I do get 9/8. We seem to be getting lucky here. I've usually made a mistake by now.

Just started using wolframalpha.com for the integrals. Just wanted to make sure my syntax and what not was correct.

Have to draw it out to get the limits heh

iamalexalright said:
Just started using wolframalpha.com for the integrals. Just wanted to make sure my syntax and what not was correct.

Have to draw it out to get the limits heh

You must be doing it right. Sure, the integration part is mechanical, no reason not to use a calculator there. The head work is the hard part and you seem to be getting it right.

1. What is a triple integral check?

A triple integral check is a mathematical method used to verify the accuracy of a triple integral calculation. It involves breaking down a triple integral into three separate integrals, each with a different variable as the innermost integral, and then solving each integral separately to compare the results with the original integral.

2. Why is it important to perform a triple integral check?

Performing a triple integral check is important because it allows scientists and mathematicians to catch any errors or mistakes in their calculations. It also provides a way to validate the accuracy of a calculation and ensure that the results are reliable and trustworthy.

3. What are the steps involved in performing a triple integral check?

The first step is to break down the triple integral into three separate integrals, with each integral having a different variable as the innermost integral. Next, solve each integral separately and compare the results with the original integral. If the results match, the original integral is considered to be accurate.

4. Can a triple integral check be performed on any triple integral?

Yes, a triple integral check can be performed on any triple integral. However, it is more commonly used for complicated or lengthy integrals, as it can help to catch any errors that may have been made during the calculation process.

5. Are there any limitations to using a triple integral check?

The main limitation of using a triple integral check is that it adds an extra step to the calculation process, which can be time-consuming. Additionally, if the original integral is incorrect, the triple integral check may not catch the error and could still provide a false sense of accuracy.