Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Triple Integral Question

1. Apr 10, 2004 #1

Here is the original question http://phasedma.com/uploaded/TripleIntegral.JPG

My difficuly is understanding the limits of integration--- party due to how the solid in question is "sliced" by those planes. I know how to visualize the parabolic cylinder, but I need help on 1. limits on integration, and 2. Order of integration.

I doubt I would have to use polar coordinates since the region in question has no square roots...

Thanks for you help I really do appreciate this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2004 #2
    Arghh that links not working, just copy paste it into the url. Sorry.
  4. Apr 10, 2004 #3
    TEChild, you can use Latex coding here, click on this link:

[tex]\int \int \int_E (x + 2y)dV[/tex]

where E is bound by the parabolic cylinder

and the planes

Last edited: Apr 10, 2004
  5. Apr 10, 2004 #4
    Divide and conquer. z appears as an independent variable once and as a constant. So, easy to eliminate x:

[tex]\int _E ()dV = \int_0^1 dz \int dy \int_z^1 ()dx[/tex]

Do you see why the upper limit on z is 1? Solve the innermost integral as tho y and z were constants.
  6. Apr 10, 2004 #5
    actually I dont see why the upper limit on z is one... thats where I was confused --- I understand why it starts at 0 of course... and also the y limits are giving me trouble...
  7. Apr 11, 2004 #6
    taking z as the independent variable, ask yourself: what is the greatest z value a point in the bounded volume can have?
  8. Apr 11, 2004 #7
    ahhhh i got it thanks so much
  9. Apr 11, 2004 #8
    Ooh Bellingham--- are you a graduate student at Western Washington U. outandbeyond?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?