Another use for a tennis ball [SOLVED]

In summary, the problem involves testing the quality of a tennis ball by dropping it from a height of 4.93 m and measuring its rebound height of 2.68 m. With a contact time of 12.3 ms, the average acceleration of the ball during this time is 1.34 m/s^2. After some discussion, it is determined that the incorrect answer is due to a decimal place error in the time conversion.
AnkhUNC
[SOLVED] Another use for a tennis ball

Homework Statement

To test the quality of a tennis ball, you drop it onto the floor from a height of 4.93 m. It rebounds to a height of 2.68 m. If the ball is in contact with the floor for 12.3 ms, what is its average acceleration during that contact?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

v1 = -sqrt(-2(g)(4.93m)) = -9.83 m/s
v2 = sqrt(2(g)(-2.68+4.93)) = 6.64 m/s

Average acel = v2-v1/delta time = (6.64-(-9.83))/12.3x10^(-3)ms = 1.34 m/s^2?

The answer isn't correct but I have no idea where I'm going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your value for v2 is wrong. I think the problem is your value for the height in the v2 equation? Why are you using (-2.68+4.93) as the height in that equation?

From sqrt(2g(yFinal-yInitial)

Think of the ball traveling back up after the bounce as a completely separate part of the problem from the trip downward before the bounce, with it's own initial and final positions.

Now, thinking like this, what is the balls initial position after the bounce? What is its final position? Does this change your answer?

0-(-2.68)?

Yes, that will give you the correct change in position for the ball after the bounce, though your sign choices are confusing me a tiny bit.

The ball will start at 0 after the bounce, and end at +2.68, thus, yf-yi=2.68.

This is what you got as well, so it's fine. I am just wondering why you used the signs you did.

I still end up getting an incorrect answer :( So frustrating!

What do you get for v2 this time around? ( Please show the calculation.)

sqrt(2*(9.8)(2.68)) = 7.247620299

Ok. This is what I get. Now what do you get for the avg acceleration, calculation included?

((7.247620299+9.829954222)/(.00123m/s^2)) = 13884.20693 m/s^2. But its wrong Q_Q

I get 13878 (rounded of course), not 13884. I used those numbers, though. Check your calculations again.

Rechecked get the exact same answer.

Have you converted the time correctly?

mda said:
Have you converted the time correctly?

Ahh, yes. I see it now too. Check your time conversion. I think you have a decimal place error. Nice catch mda.

Always something simple! Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it.

Anytime!

1. What are some creative ways to use a tennis ball?

Aside from playing tennis, a tennis ball can be used for various activities such as massage, juggling, and as a pet toy.

2. Can a tennis ball be used for household tasks?

Yes, a tennis ball can be used to remove scuff marks on floors, open jars, and even clean hard-to-reach areas like the corners of windows and baseboards.

3. How can a tennis ball be used for fitness?

A tennis ball can be used for various exercises such as hand grip strengthening, balance training, and as a prop for yoga or Pilates workouts.

4. Are there any practical uses for a tennis ball in the outdoors?

Absolutely! A tennis ball can be used as a replacement pool or beach ball, a makeshift doorstop, and even as a survival tool for starting a fire.

5. Can a tennis ball be used for DIY projects?

Yes, a tennis ball can be used to create homemade dryer balls, as a material for homemade stress balls, and as a container for storing small items like nails and screws.