Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another vanishing

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Yes the latest in a long line of things that vanish from my house, this one, my
    flip flop, just the right one, i used them every day in the house up until last
    week, when i was forced to stay in bed, now when i need them one has vanished, the house has been searched high and low, it is so strange as not
    long ago one of a pair of shoes vanished, i would be so happy if just one of
    things that vanished turned up in some strange place, but to date no luck :grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2
    Did you fail to pay homage to St Crispan?

4. Oct 25, 2005 #3

Mk

Here in Guam we call them "zories." I wonder what the singular for zories is?

5. Oct 25, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I will have to look him up, but i will give him some homage if he stops my stuff
    going missing, anyone one that can give a rational explanation as to where
    my stuff goes and stop these vanishings will be richly rewarded :smile:

6. Oct 25, 2005 #5
    hmm I have no idea where one flip flop would go if it wanted to hide. But whenever I lose something, there's this superstition (I think it's greek) of tying three knots on a piece of string and then throwing it behind your back. works everytime. :smile:

7. Oct 25, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Naw... he'll just lose that too.

8. Oct 25, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Danger, i do not loose these blasted things, i wish i could be the culprit, but
    my things vanish when i am not around, i am quite tired now, but i assure you
    i do not jest and this thread is in no way funny to me, i am getting really peed
    off from searching for these things, so much so that i would gladly pay some
    one to uncover the hiding place of my stuff :smile:

9. Oct 25, 2005 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Have you checked your attic for squirrels? (Not just being euphamistic here...:uhh: )
    If you have left access for the great outdoors to invade, something could be snagging your stuff for nesting material or just because it's interesting. I'm thinking packrats, squirrels, chipmunks etc..

10. Oct 26, 2005 #9

wolram

Gold Member

I would love to see some of those little critters, but we have nothing bigger
    than mice around here, apart from the occasional visit by a hedgehog thats
    about it :smile:

11. Oct 26, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you checked the dog bed or dog droppings for evidence of slipper remains? :uhh: If you had lost the entire pair, that might make more sense that you just took them off somewhere and forgot where, but to lose only one is pretty difficult. Usually the second one is fairly close to the first. Have you checked inside the laundry basket? Perhaps they got picked up with bath towels tossed on top of them when on the floor, or with bed coverings if you have any tendency to sit on your bed with the slippers on?

12. Oct 26, 2005 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Hi, Moonbear.
    :rofl: Benji is not a chewy dog, and yes we have searched everywhere, in the
    washing machine, down the furnature, in the dust bin, under the furnature,
    every cupboard and draw, we were determined to find it we have even looked
    in the compost bin, it has just vanished along with my shoe and other stuff :grumpy:

13. Oct 26, 2005 #12
    Given the envelopes and credit card you mentioned in the other thread, I am pretty sure it's a human taking all this stuff.

What you might do is check into one of those NannyCams. Don't tell ANYONE you have it, and set it up to get a good shot of your room.

14. Oct 26, 2005 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

One word - large spiders. Ok, that's two words. :tongue:

Did King John ever return?

15. Oct 26, 2005 #14
    Its micro black holes that evaporate after sucking your stuff up. duh! My locker, backpack and room get them continually.

16. Oct 26, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you asked the dryer about it? Socks might just be a gateway drug, and now the dryer has moved onto hardcore slippers and flipflops! :biggrin:

17. Oct 26, 2005 #16
    Yep it is definitely related to the missing sock phenomena, which in itself is related to the space time continuum, both of which depend on a parallel universe to exist. Unless of course the flipflop is floating around in another dimension.

If the latter is the case your objects will return in a time period that is directly proportional to the amount of time you spend looking for them to the 10th power. The longer you look for things the longer it takes for them to reappear.
    When I was a young man I lost my wallet in a barn. I looked for it for two days. It was found twenty years later when the barn was torn down. My money and my pictures were still inside the wallet.(true story)

18. Oct 26, 2005 #17

wolram

Gold Member

No he didn't :tongue2: And no chocolates for you this xmas :grumpy:

19. Oct 26, 2005 #18

wolram

Gold Member

All i can say is, Wow:biggrin:

20. Oct 26, 2005 #19
    I think the lesson to be learned from this is that Wolram should tear his house down.

21. Oct 26, 2005 #20

wolram

Gold Member

Ok, zoobie if i can have some help rebuilding, i don't care about the flip flop
    just its vanishing, pay pal is the medium for £50 to the one that solves it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?