Understanding Dot Product: Is v=w in Vectors?

• Thread starter sjmacewan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dot products of vectors and whether or not the equation u.v = u.w implies that v = w. The question is designed to make the speaker second-guess themselves, but after realizing that dot product is commutative, it becomes clear that v and w do not necessarily have to be the same vectors.
sjmacewan
These vectors are giving me some real trouble...i'm fine with the in physics, but the math theory behind them is my weakness...

Ok, so we have that u.v=u.w where those are dot products of vectors. The question asks whether or not it makes sense to equate that to meaning that v=w.

Now, at first glance I would say yes. Since u never changes, for the dot product to be the same of the 2 expressions v and w would have to be the same vectors. But i have a strong feeling that I'm wrong...seems like one of those questions designed to make you second-guess yourself.

Any pointers on how to work this one out would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Dot product is commutative. :smile:

hmmm, yes, i knew that; but I'm not entirely sure as to how that helps. It only seems to further my belief that v=w...which is possible i guess; maybe I'm overthinking it.

the way i see it is that if

u.v = u.w and
u.v = v.u

all that means is that v.u = u.w

and that doesn't get me any further to understanding :(

u.v=u.w is the same as saying u.(v-w)=0. Now is it true that for all u, u.z=0 means z equals zero?

As far as I know, no; that doesn't mean z=0. So v-w wouldn't have to be zero, meaning they're not equal :)

Thanks a lot! The commutativity hint was received poorly on my part, i never even considered taking u.w to the other side...

1. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a single number. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How is the dot product represented mathematically?

The dot product of two vectors, v and w, is represented as v · w or v * w. This notation is used to distinguish the dot product from other vector operations such as cross product or tensor product.

3. What does it mean when the dot product of two vectors is zero?

If the dot product of two vectors is zero, it means that the vectors are perpendicular or orthogonal to each other. This is because the cosine of 90 degrees (the angle between two perpendicular vectors) is zero, resulting in a dot product of zero.

4. How is the dot product used in real-world applications?

The dot product has many practical applications, including calculating work and energy in physics, determining the angle between two vectors in geometry, and performing dimensionality reduction in machine learning.

5. Is it possible for the dot product of two vectors to be greater than the product of their magnitudes?

No, the dot product of two vectors can never be greater than the product of their magnitudes. This is because the cosine of any angle is always less than or equal to 1, so the dot product can never be larger than the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors.