1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another vector problem

1. Sep 24, 2006 #1
    These vectors are giving me some real trouble...i'm fine with the in physics, but the math theory behind them is my weakness...

Ok, so we have that u.v=u.w where those are dot products of vectors. The question asks whether or not it makes sense to equate that to meaning that v=w.

Now, at first glance I would say yes. Since u never changes, for the dot product to be the same of the 2 expressions v and w would have to be the same vectors. But i have a strong feeling that i'm wrong...seems like one of those questions designed to make you second-guess yourself.

Any pointers on how to work this one out would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2006 #2
    Hint: Dot product is commutative. :smile:

4. Sep 24, 2006 #3
    hmmm, yes, i knew that; but i'm not entirely sure as to how that helps. It only seems to further my belief that v=w...which is possible i guess; maybe i'm overthinking it.

the way i see it is that if

u.v = u.w and
    u.v = v.u

all that means is that v.u = u.w

and that doesn't get me any further to understanding :(

5. Sep 24, 2006 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

u.v=u.w is the same as saying u.(v-w)=0. Now is it true that for all u, u.z=0 means z equals zero?

6. Sep 24, 2006 #5
    As far as I know, no; that doesn't mean z=0. So v-w wouldn't have to be zero, meaning they're not equal :)

Thanks a lot! The commutativity hint was received poorly on my part, i never even considered taking u.w to the other side...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?