How can I prove that vector c bisects the angle theta between vectors a and b?

• Thread starter Perion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
The sum vector is the diagonal of a parallelogram that has the two original vectors as sides. Since a parallelogram is composed of two equal triangles, and the sum vector bisects the parallelogram's angles, it also bisects the angle between the original vectors.In summary, the given conversation discusses the relationship between three non-zero vectors and how the vector c bisects the angle between vectors a and b if c = |b|a + |a|b. The conversation also delves into using the vectors' component forms and the cosine of the angles between the vectors to determine if they are equal. The conversation concludes with the realization that the problem is intrinsically 2-D and can be
Perion
Hi. I am to show that for any non-zero vectors a, b, and c, if
c = |b|a + |a|b
then vector c bisects the angle theta between vectors a and b. [0 < theta <= Pi]

I used the vectors' component forms and let a = <a1,a2> and b = <b1,b2> and then worked out the equations for the cosine of the angles between (1) a and c, and (2) c and b. I then tried to determine if (1) and (2) were equal. I used the equations

(1) cos(phi1) = (a.c)/|a||c| and
(2) cos(phi2) = (c.b)/|c||b| [a.c and c.b are dot products]

Unfortunately I came up with some rather long, complicated, component expressions which proved quite cumbersome to test for equality. I suspect that James Stewart (my textbook author) had an easier method in mind (maybe using projections) that didn't involve such algebraic gymnastics. Am I missing some obviously simple method to go about this?

Thanks,
Perion

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do this in 2-d only?

How do you find the angle between two vectors using the dot product? And what's cos(2t) in terms of cos(t)?

If you just use those carefully (no need to do componentsin 2d) it drops out, I imagine.

For example |c|^2=c.c = 4|b|^2|a|^2, so |c|= 2|a||b|

[tex] \vec{c}=|\vec{b}|\vec{a}+|\vec{a}|\vec{b} [/tex] (1)

Take scalar product with itself and obtain:

[tex] |\vec{c}|^{2}=2|\vec{a}|^{2}|\vec{b}|^{2}[1+\cos(\vec{a}\vec{b})]=4|\vec{a}|^{2}|\vec{b}|^{2}\cos^{2}\frac{(\vec{a}\vec{b})}{2} [/tex] (2)

Take square root & obtain:

[tex] |\vec{c}|=2|\vec{a}|\vec{b}|\cos\frac{(\vec{a}\vec{b})}{2} [/tex] (3)

Consider the scalar product:

[tex]\vec{a}\cdot\vec{c}=|\vec{a}||\vec{c}|\cos(\vec{a}\vec{c})=|\vec{b}|\vec{a}|^{2}+|\vec{b}|\vec{a}|^{2}\cos(\vec{a}\vec{b})[/tex] (4)

,where i made specific use of (1).From (4) it follows simply (check the trick with the half-angle formula,as in (2)),that:

[tex] |\vec{c}|=2|\vec{a}||\vec{b}|\frac{\cos^{2}\frac{(\vec{a}\vec{b})}{2}}{\cos(\vec{a}\vec{c})} [/tex] (5)

Set equal (4) & (5) and,after the simplifications,u get:

[tex]\cos(\vec{a}\vec{c})=\cos\frac{(\vec{a}\vec{b})}{2} [/tex] (6)

Use the fact that the angles are in the interval [itex] (0,\pi) [/itex] and we can make use of the "arccos"...You get simply:

[tex] (\vec{a}\vec{c})=\frac{(\vec{a}\vec{b})}{2} [/tex] (7)

,which is just what u were supposed to prove...

Daniel.

P.S.The proof is very general.It makes no reference to any #of dimensions or a base in the vector space...

Last edited:
There is a simple approach involving only elementary geometry. |a|b and |b|a are the same length. These form adjacent sides of a rhombus. c is a diagonal starting at the point of origin of these vectors. Therefore it must bisect the angle formed by these sides.

Oh wow! Yeah - thanks for the insights. I tried manipulating my expressions in order to use the half angle trig identity but made a dumb mistake so went the idiotic component route. Actually, I shouldn't have assumed just 2D since the problem didn't specify any particular number of dimensions. I just didn't want to deal with more than 2D since the 2D component form resulted in expressions that sucked more enough for my taste.

Matt and dextercioby - your approach is the way that I wanted to go (and suspected the author desired) and now it's also why I'm kicking myself in the butt for abandoning :cry:

Thank you very much!

Perion

The problem is intrinsically 2-D. The two vectors define a plane, which also contains their sum vector.

1. What is a vector problem?

A vector problem is a mathematical problem that involves the use of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. These problems often require the use of vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

2. How do you solve a vector problem?

To solve a vector problem, you first need to understand the properties and operations of vectors. You can then use vector algebra and trigonometry to manipulate and combine vectors. It is also important to draw accurate vector diagrams and use the correct units and coordinate systems.

3. What are some real-life applications of vector problems?

Vector problems have many applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. For example, they can be used to calculate the motion of objects, the forces acting on an object, and the direction and magnitude of electric and magnetic fields.

4. What are the common mistakes people make when solving vector problems?

Some common mistakes when solving vector problems include not using the correct units or coordinate systems, not considering the direction of vectors, and not properly drawing vector diagrams. It is also important to pay attention to the signs of vectors and use the correct mathematical operations.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving vector problems?

To improve your skills in solving vector problems, you can practice solving different types of problems and familiarize yourself with the properties and operations of vectors. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources, and make sure to carefully check your work and learn from your mistakes.