Jetliner Displacement: Magnitude & Direction in Northwest - 66*, 27*

• Thread starter possum30540
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, during a five minute time interval, a jetliner taking off from LA has a displacement of 27 km in the northwest direction and a magnitude of 27 km. The angle of displacement west of north is 68.198* and the angle of displacement above the horizontal is 26.565*. To calculate these angles, you must construct a triangle with the given sides and use the appropriate trigonometric functions.
possum30540

Homework Statement

A jetliner takes off from LA. after 5 min, the jet has an altitude of 5 km above the level of the airport and is 25 km west and 10 km north of the airport. What are the magnitude and the diretion of its displacement during this time interval? Specify the direction by stating two angles: the angle of the displacements direction west of north and the angle of the displacement's direction above the horizontal.

Homework Equations

for West of North:
construct a triangle with adjacent side 10 km and hypotenuse 25 km
then use cox=10/25 to find the angle

For above the horizontal:
construct a triangle with opposite side 5 km and hypotenuse 10
then use tanx=5/10 to find angle

For magnitude:

use the magnitude formula for: [-25 km, 10 km, 5 km]

The Attempt at a Solution

Is horizontal always the Z component/up?

west of north angle: 66*
above horizontal angle: 27*
direction of displacement: northwest
magnitude: 27 km

Physics news on Phys.org
possum30540 said:
for West of North:
construct a triangle with adjacent side 10 km and hypotenuse 25 km
then use cox=10/25 to find the angle

For above the horizontal:
construct a triangle with opposite side 5 km and hypotenuse 10
then use tanx=5/10 to find angle

It's been awhile since I've done any of this so somebody correct me if otherwise, but for west of north and for above the horizontal, you should not be using any distance as the hypotenuse.

You will need two different triangles for each situation which you did, but the hypotenuse is not known until you calculate it but you don't need it.

Okay . .I understand now that I look at it again. Thank you.

for north of west:
construct triangle with opposite 25 and adjacent 10

for above horizontal:
construct triangle with opposite 5 and adjacent 10

I believe so yes, that is what I had written down I think. I erased it but I think the angles I had were something like 68.198* and 26.565*

1. What is "Another Vector Question"?

"Another Vector Question" is a hypothetical question or problem that involves the use of vector quantities, which are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

2. Why are vectors important in science?

Vectors are important in science because they allow us to describe and analyze physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity, force, and acceleration. They are also used in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

3. How do you represent a vector?

Vectors are typically represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

4. What are some common operations performed on vectors?

Some common operations performed on vectors include addition, subtraction, multiplication by a scalar, and dot and cross products. These operations are used to manipulate and analyze vector quantities in various scientific and mathematical applications.

5. How are vectors used in real-world applications?

Vectors are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including navigation and GPS systems, computer graphics and animation, weather forecasting, and predicting the motion of objects in space. They are also used in many engineering and scientific fields to analyze and solve complex problems.