How Does Viète's Formula Apply to Trigonometric Products?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks for the help anyway tiny-tim. In summary, to prove that for every positive integer n, \Pi_{k=1}^n \tan \frac{k \pi}{2n+1} = \sqrt{2n+1}, we can use de Moivre's theorem and Viete's formulas.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] another Viete problem

Homework Statement

Prove that for every positive integer n,

[tex]\Pi_{k=1}^n \tan \frac{k \pi}{2n+1} = \sqrt{2n+1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viète's_formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot figure out what polynomial I need to apply Viete to.

Should I let

[tex]f(x) = \Pi_{k=1}^n \left(x- \tan \frac{k \pi}{2n+1}\right)[/tex]

? That doesn't seem to help at all. I looked for relevant trig identities and couldn't find any. I tried induction (the case n=1 is trivial) but that failed also so alas I am stuck again. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ehrenfest! :smile:

Hint: use de Moivre's theorem. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hint: use de Moivre's theorem. :smile:

Hmm.

[tex]\cos n \theta (1 + i \tan n \theta) = (\cos \theta + i \sin \theta)^n[/tex]

We can let \theta = pi/(2n+1). We could then sum both sides over n. But somehow we need to get a polynomial and then apply Viete to it. I don't see what polynomial to use. Sorry tiny-tim. :(

ehrenfest said:
Hmm.

[tex]\cos n \theta (1 + i \tan n \theta) = (\cos \theta + i \sin \theta)^n[/tex]

We can let \theta = pi/(2n+1). We could then sum both sides over n. But somehow we need to get a polynomial and then apply Viete to it. I don't see what polynomial to use. Sorry tiny-tim. :(

:cry: (tears hair out) :cry:

But the whole point of de Moivre's theorem is that it avoids using Viete! :rolleyes:

Just do what you said … sum kπ/(2n+1) from 1 to n. :wink:

ehrenfest … you keep doing this … you get it fixed in your head that you have to do something, even when you yourself have found a way that avoids it! :smile:

Well I really didn't see how anything would simplify after I summed it:

[tex]
\sum_{k=1}^n \cos \frac{k \pi}{2n+1} (1 + i \tan \frac{k \pi}{2n+1} ) = \sum_{k=1}^n (\cos \frac{\pi}{2n+1}+ i \sin \frac{\pi}{2n+1})^k
[/tex]

But I'm sure you have some clever trick up your sleeve tiny-tim.

[tex]\cos \theta + i \sin \theta = ?[/tex]

George Jones said:
[tex]\cos \theta + i \sin \theta = ?[/tex]

[tex]e^{i \theta}[/tex]

But how does that help simplify the RHS. I know there must be something obvious I am missing? It is just the first n of the 4n+2 roots of unity but does that equal something nice?

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
[tex]e^{i \theta}[/tex]

But how does that help simplify the RHS?

Substituting this shows that this series is a special type of series.

What type of series?

I'm an idiot.

The RHS is

[tex]\frac{1-\exp \frac{i (n+1) \pi}{2n+1}}{1-\exp \frac{i \pi}{2n+1}}[/tex]

So

[tex]

\sum_{k=1}^n \cos \frac{k \pi}{2n+1} (1 + i \tan \frac{k \pi}{2n+1} ) = \frac{1-\exp \frac{i (n+1) \pi}{2n+1}}{1-\exp \frac{i \pi}{2n+1}}

[/tex]

Sorry to keep prolonging this but I still don't see where this is going. I mean how are we ever going a product of tangents from this!

You're getting confused.

You've used ∑ instead of ∏. Your:
ehrenfest said:
[tex] \sum_{k=1}^n \cos \frac{k \pi}{2n+1} (1 + i \tan \frac{k \pi}{2n+1} ) = \sum_{k=1}^n (\cos \frac{\pi}{2n+1}+ i \sin \frac{\pi}{2n+1})^k
[/tex]

should be: [tex] \Pi_{k=1}^n \cos \frac{k \pi}{2n+1} (1 + i \tan \frac{k \pi}{2n+1} ) = \Pi_{k=1}^n (\cos \frac{\pi}{2n+1}+ i \sin \frac{\pi}{2n+1})^k = (\cos \frac{\pi}{2n+1}+ i \sin \frac{\pi}{2n+1})^{\sum{k=1}^{n} k}\\,=\,...
[/tex]

hmm … the LaTeX hasn't come out right … but I hope you see what I mean! :redface:

tiny-tim said:

You're getting confused.

You've used ∑ instead of ∏. Your:should be: [tex] \Pi_{k=1}^n \cos \frac{k \pi}{2n+1} (1 + i \tan \frac{k \pi}{2n+1} ) = \Pi_{k=1}^n (\cos \frac{\pi}{2n+1}+ i \sin \frac{\pi}{2n+1})^k = (\cos \frac{\pi}{2n+1}+ i \sin \frac{\pi}{2n+1})^{\sum{k=1}^{n} k}\\,=\,...
[/tex]

hmm … the LaTeX hasn't come out right … but I hope you see what I mean! :redface:

Well you said sum in post #4. Sorry I still don't see where we are going with this. I agree with what you posted above and the sum of the first n integers is n(n+1)/2 but I cannot even see what will happen in the case of n=2.

Then we have

[tex]\exp i \frac{3 \pi}{5} = \cos \frac{\pi}{5} \cos\frac{2 \pi}{5}(1+i\tan \frac{\pi}{5})(1+i\tan\frac{2\pi}{5})[/tex]

We can take the real part of both sides but then what?

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:
… the sum of the first n integers is n(n+1)/2 but I cannot even see what will happen in the case of n=2. …

ah, but if you use de Moivre again, then the n+1 cancels, and you get … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
ah, but if you use de Moivre again, then the n+1 cancels, and you get … ? :smile:

What? There is a 2n+1 not an n+1 in the denominator of the cosine and the sine...

Well, this was really bothering so I looked at the solution in my book that employs Viete. Using de Moivre was a good idea but I think you really do need Viete also.

1. What is "Another Viete problem"?

"Another Viete problem" is a mathematical problem proposed by French mathematician François Viète in the 16th century. It involves finding the value of an unknown quantity by using a recursive formula.

2. What is the formula used in "Another Viete problem"?

The formula used in "Another Viete problem" is known as the Viète's formula, which states that the product of the roots of a polynomial equation is equal to the constant term divided by the leading coefficient.

3. What makes "Another Viete problem" unique?

"Another Viete problem" is unique because it requires using a recursive formula, meaning that the solution to the problem relies on the solution of a smaller version of the same problem.

4. What are some applications of "Another Viete problem"?

"Another Viete problem" has various applications in mathematics, such as in finding the roots of polynomial equations and in solving geometric problems involving the relationships between the sides and angles of a triangle.

5. How can I solve "Another Viete problem"?

To solve "Another Viete problem", you need to follow the steps of the recursive formula, which involves finding the roots of the polynomial equation and using those roots to find the value of the unknown quantity. Additionally, having a strong understanding of algebraic concepts and mathematical reasoning is crucial in solving this problem.